Icon Overlays and TortoiseSVN 1.5

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
conker

Re: Icon Overlays and TortoiseSVN 1.5

Post by conker »

Unfortunately, it did not. In any case, that solution is a band-aid, because you are crippling Tortoise functionality for the benefit of XYplorer.

Setting it to shell will only update svn status at the folder level, and not recursively - which is not useful. That is mainly there for optimization for people who have slow file systems. However, this is not a discussion about Tortoise....

IMO, this bug, although not serious, is very annoying because it means users of Tortoise (and there are many) will need to keep a Explorer window open just to maintain Tortoise status. I would love to be able to do all my development work within XYplorer, but simply cannot with this bug. It's frustrating. I would appreciate any time spent looking into this bug.

Thanks!
-Ken
Lifetime License

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

conker wrote:I would appreciate any time spent looking into this bug.
Just to make sure: on http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads the say:
Note for x64 users: you can install both the 32 and 64-bit version side by side. This will enable the TortoiseSVN features also for 32-bit applications.

pospi

Post by pospi »

setting status cache to shell is really not an option as this breaks recursive icon overlay updating from tortoise and thus cripples it slightly, as said..
As to installing both versions, this works for now - but we all know it's just a workaround. It means having two tortoiseSVNcache processes open and indexing at all times, which doesnt make sense and also takes up twice as much memory.

Of course ultimately all this would go away with an x64 build of XYplorer (:

running Windows 7 ultimate x64 btw

conker

Post by conker »

Agreed, this is not a solution, since you are crippling another applications functionality and default intended usage settings.

xplorer2
http://www.zabkat.com/

does not have this bug, and handles TortoiseSVN icons just fine. I think this needs to be addressed.

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

pospi wrote:As to installing both versions, this works for now - but we all know it's just a workaround.
Any application that installs 64-bit shell extensions should also install 32-bit versions of those extensions - always. This has nothing to do with being a workaround for XY - it has to do with the application that provides the shell extension being fully integrated into the system.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

mwb1100 wrote:Any application that installs 64-bit shell extensions should also install 32-bit versions of those extensions - always. This has nothing to do with being a workaround for XY - it has to do with the application that provides the shell extension being fully integrated into the system.
I don't necessarily agree with that. A lot depends on whether such extension is destined for a purely 64-bit application or not. If it's an extension for a 64-bit of software then installation of a 32-bit version isn't required and vice versa (whether this is easy or not isn't relevant). In a way, this "reluctance", for the lack of a better word, is helping to drive 64-bit software forward.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

trAAAde wrote:Is there a chance to display the TortoiseSVN overlay icons not as overlay to the windows-file-icons but as icons in an own column?
If not: This would be much more neat for all Tortoise users I think.
And for XYplorer it would be an outstanding-stand-alone feature - as far I know no other explorer is able to do that...

If I think about: Even better would be a real (DLL?) interface to own file related columns - so 3rd party users or companies can pimp the XYplorer for their own needs.
Hi and welcome!

Not sure I understand. What are you trying to achieve? I'm asking because there might be means already available in XY. For example tagging...

Don

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I like it! Additionally you could sort the items by the SVN column, which might be a welcome enhancement.
trAAAde wrote:The result would be perfect - and every SVN user would use your explorer immediately...
Prove it and I'll do it! :)

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Just to point out... the Tortoise extensions usually also add custom columns ("SVN Status", "CVS Status") that display the same information as the overlay icon, but it's, unfortunately, in textual form only.

Eventually XY is supposed to learn how to handle the shell/custom columns, so presumably when that day comes the Tortoise columns will be visible as well.

EDIT: On the actual wish, I once had a similar idea, so I'm very much in favor of this.

It would be even more awesome if it could display all applicable overlays, instead of just the first match, but I don't think that's possible. (And honestly I'm not sure it would be useful to enough people to justify.)

I'll also remind you to consider how this could be used when in a non-details view. Perhaps by displaying the icons in the status bar or Properties pane?

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Why limit it to Tortoise SVN?
TheQwerty wrote: honestly I'm not sure it would be useful to enough people to justify.
A special list column to display visual tags (or flags), for regular users not just programmers, would be great. It wouldn't suffer from the size and readability problem of overlays (16x16 icons could be used). It would be a killer feature.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

FeatureCreep wrote:Why limit it to Tortoise SVN?
I'm not... That statement was just on getting it to display all applicable overlay icons in the same column.

If you have checked out a SVN repository into a folder shared on the network, which is also in your Dropbox folder... well there's at least 3 overlays (SVN status, network share, Dropbox status) that could be applied to this folder. However, currently you only see one, and it's the install/registration order (as defined in the registry) that determines which.

I was saying that I think creating a column which displays all three icons could be quite difficult, and the amount of use it would get probably does not justify the required work. This is also because I don't think overlay icons in general are used by that many people.

Creating a column that just shows the one overlay icon that is currently displayed doesn't seem like it would be too difficult and it would be useful enough to justify the effort.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

TheQwerty wrote: This is also because I don't think overlay icons in general are used by that many people.

Creating a column that just shows the one overlay icon that is currently displayed doesn't seem like it would be too difficult and it would be useful enough to justify the effort.
Maybe there isn't that many using SVN but i suspect there is a much higher nbr of XY users who have overlay icons due to cloud/backup software, like Mozy or Carbonite, etc and having that in a unique col could apply to them as well...so I'd maybe not have col heading be SVN but something more generic.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
FeatureCreep wrote:Why limit it to Tortoise SVN?
I'm not... That statement was just on getting it to display all applicable overlay icons in the same column.

If you have checked out a SVN repository into a folder shared on the network, which is also in your Dropbox folder... well there's at least 3 overlays (SVN status, network share, Dropbox status) that could be applied to this folder. However, currently you only see one, and it's the install/registration order (as defined in the registry) that determines which.

I was saying that I think creating a column which displays all three icons could be quite difficult, and the amount of use it would get probably does not justify the required work. This is also because I don't think overlay icons in general are used by that many people.

I don't know a way to get more than one overlay information. Windows clearly states one overlay (or none). The negotiation is done before the results are fed to the API.

Conc. the column: I surely plan to add shell columns but this is a big feature (in the sense of: a lot of tricky work, and probably a long debug phase).
But: if sorting is not that important I could quite quickly add an option to draw the normal icon column (after widening it by 16 pixels) so that the overlay is drawn on the left and the icon on the right. Would that help? (Advantage: the same method could also be applied to non-Details views)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
TheQwerty wrote: This is also because I don't think overlay icons in general are used by that many people.

Maybe there isn't that many using SVN but i suspect there is a much higher nbr of XY users who have overlay icons due to cloud/backup software, like Mozy or Carbonite, etc and having that in a unique col could apply to them as well...so I'd maybe not have col heading be SVN but something more generic.
Yes, "Overlay" for example.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Yes, "Overlay" for example.
Exactly! But since it's a very narrow field, maybe "Ovl" so no excess space -- unless you plan to have multiple icons side-by-side?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.