delay (20 second+) when typing in address bar

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
eurytos

delay (20 second+) when typing in address bar

Post by eurytos »

I was typing this up and cleared my problem during the course of the message but figured it might be a good idea to post the symptoms anyways in case anyone else experiences it.

The solution was to clear out:
Tools --> list management --> Address Bar and Goto

When I type a path into the address bar XY becomes unresponsive for about 20-30 seconds. This happens before hitting enter. It is happening for local and remote paths
ie:
c:\
behaves the same as
\\server\c$

In both cases the first character displays in the bar and then XY locks up. When it comes back the full path I typed will display
c --> (unresponsive) --> c:\
\ --> (unresponsive) --> \\server

I get no delay if I use an existing shortcut or manually navigate to the path. Also there are no issues if I navigate using favorite folders, favorite files, or my computer.

I cleared out Tools --> list management --> History for both panes and the issue still occured.

admin
Site Admin

Re: delay (20 second+) when typing in address bar

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info. I assume there was an unavailable network location in the Address Bar dropdown. I did something to handle this in future.

eurytos

Post by eurytos »

admin wrote:Thanks for the info. I assume there was an unavailable network location in the Address Bar dropdown. I did something to handle this in future.

I am pretty sure that was the problem as well. I am not the best typist....

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

A typical usecase for me is to grab the path for a file into the clipboard (e.g., c:\mydirectory\myfile.txt) from a server alert email or something. Then go to the address bar, type \\servername\, and then paste the path from the clipboard. Of course, that's wrong:
\\servername\c:\mydirectory\myfile.txt
so I go back and delete the colon (and wait), and then enter a dollar sign, and then it works.

The delay in the middle there is pretty annoying.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ChrisW wrote:A typical usecase for me is to grab the path for a file into the clipboard (e.g., c:\mydirectory\myfile.txt) from a server alert email or something. Then go to the address bar, type \\servername\, and then paste the path from the clipboard. Of course, that's wrong:
\\servername\c:\mydirectory\myfile.txt
so I go back and delete the colon (and wait), and then enter a dollar sign, and then it works.

The delay in the middle there is pretty annoying.
Well, let's see. This should work without delay now (= in next beta upload).