Question about visual filters

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
ale

Question about visual filters

Post by ale »

This evening I started using visual filters, I read a bit on the wiki and help file but I would like to ask a thing about this feature. Let's say I know I want to work for a while only with .jpg files as an example. So I discovered it's useful to apply a visual filter like *.jpg

Then I may focus another tab or open another tab and I can apply the same filter again and so on (last visual filter command). I was wondering if there's a way to automatically apply this filter so that I always have a filtered view, I think it may be useful if a user knows is going to work for a while with a specific kind of files

Maybe there is already this feature and I didn't find it :oops: or maybe it's not a good idea overall?

My first message on the forum, so a few more words to say hello to everybody and to the author of XYplorer

jjk

Re: Question about visual filters

Post by jjk »

Welcome Ale
Here is what I do : I have put a button on the toolbar for Visual Filter. It has 2 states : either on either off. When you push it, its state toggles. The last VF is remembered. So I have simply to click twice when I go to another tab.
Perhaps there is a better solution, but I don't know it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi ale, welcome!

No, a global visual filter does not exist. Might be an idea for later.

Don

ale

Post by ale »

jjk thanks for the answer, I'm going to use the same solution, I will use the button on the toolbar to toggle the last filter for each tab as needed. I also thought a bit more to a global visual filter and is not as obvious as it might seem, for example a tab might already have another visual filter set so would it be changed or not?, or maybe we can open a new tab from an item in the catalog and this item might have a visual filter attached different from a global one and again what would we do?... so I think admin is right, may be a idea... for later :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ale wrote:jjk thanks for the answer, I'm going to use the same solution, I will use the button on the toolbar to toggle the last filter for each tab as needed. I also thought a bit more to a global visual filter and is not as obvious as it might seem, for example a tab might already have another visual filter set so would it be changed or not?, or maybe we can open a new tab from an item in the catalog and this item might have a visual filter attached different from a global one and again what would we do?... so I think admin is right, may be a idea... for later :)
A global VF would supersede any tabwise VFs. Anyway, if then later...