XY Scripts Library

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jacky
XYwiki Master

XY Scripts Library

Post by jacky »

Hey guys,

So I know we already have the Script Exchange forum of course, but a combination of two things got me to do this. First of all, while a great place for us, I think and have seen that for newbies, people unfamiliar with XY/Scripting, or the forum, it might not always be the best way to go. Because of the way it works, a place for discussion, when you're new and just looking for a script to do something, it might not be as obvious as for us used to it already.

I just thought a place where people could just look up different scripts available could turn out useful in such cases, maybe especially for those who don't know/do scripting nor have the time/intention to change that, but would still like to benefit from it by using scripts done by others. Plus, it's always a nice way to promote XY and what can be done, both with scripting (promoting that feature) and through scripting (promoting the scripts themselves and what they can add to XY), which I'm sure couldn't be a bad thing, right?

Also, as you may know I make it so my own scripts can be auto-updated with XYAU, which required me to do a bit of work uploading the files and updating text files (with version info), etc which had became a little of a PITA over time to be honest, and I was looking for a way to have the work done for me. Plus, it should make it easier for everyone to have their own scripts work with XYAU without the need of having to maintain your own download & version info URLs.

And this is how I started working on a little project of an XY Scripts Library, now up @ http://88.191.26.34/XYscripts/

It's not much, just a way to have scripts online with download links, etc and a little description of the script. I tried to make it use a syntax similar to what works in XYwiki, although it's nowhere near as advanced obviously. The rendering isn't quite the same, and only basic stuff are supported such as ''italic'' and '''bold''' of course, lists using *, # or @ and titles:
== this is h2 ==
=== this is h3 ===
It also supports the <tip>tips</tips> and <infos>info box</infos> like on XYwiki.

Of course every scripter is welcome to create an account and share their scripts, that's the whole point! ;) As you'll see, it works with a "version system" each requiring to include a version number (a.bb.cccc), the date the version was released (yyyy.mm.dd), the required version of XY, the changelog for this version and, of course, the actual XYS file. Also, I added the required version of common-jacky.

And to make my life easier, as that was (also) the point here ;) when uploading an XYS file and clicking on "Load file and try to auto-fill form" it will look for an Internal INI section at the end of the file, looking for keys name, version, requiredXY, and requiredCJ. (Note that if an extra key CJoptional is set to 1 then requiredCJ is ignored.)
It will also look for a changelog at the beginning of the file, and if formatted like I do mine it will extract the date and changelog for this version. For this to work, the XYS file must begin with a multi-line comment like this one:

Code: Select all

/*	Script Name

v0.01.0000	2009.01.18	XY v7.80.0032
		+ changelog goes here
*/
Additionally, when a script is uploaded to the library, the links to be used by XYAU to check for updates of the script are automatically handled, so all you need to do to use them is specify Url="http://88.191.26.34/XYscripts/download/" in the Internal section of your script file -- for more on how this actually work, please check out the common-jacky topic.

Okay, so that's it, for now there are only some scripts of mine there, but hopefully it'll grow over time...
Again, feel free to add your scripts!

Hope it'll be useful to (some of) you, and as always any questions/comments/ideas are welcome!
-jacky
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

calude

Re: XY Scripts Library

Post by calude »

Hi Jacky

If you want to help also the occasional script user or xy newbie like me, please add a "how to install" the script and also, where, as it seem there are lots of places we can enter scripts and lots of places to get lost also.

until we got snippets of course

Thanks for your great work

Calude

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

That reminds me that on the weekend i wanted to add my two scripts (QuickGoto and Select) to the library :)

I have one question to the 'description' of the scripts: Is it possible to enter line breaks in the description? I couldn't figure out yet how to do this...
Last edited by Pagat on 02 Feb 2009 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Calude, thanks. I should probably work on such a general page on how to download/install scripts yes. To tell you the truth, I also had an idea of a script that one could use to browse the library itself, and that would feature an extra button on the page of script, and clicking it would automatically download/install the script... Haven't had time to work on it much though yet.

Pagat: Yeah, newlines doesn't work as good as on the XYwiki :( For now you can use <br> in your text as line break, should work.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

jacky wrote:Pagat: Yeah, newlines doesn't work as good as on the XYwiki :( For now you can use <br> in your text as line break, should work.
Indeed! Stupid me... I thought i tried that but i guess it was only '<br/>' ...

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Good idea Jacky, nice place for easy access to scripts.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Just added a link to this library to the heading portion of the Scripting page in wiki, since that might be a logical place for users to look...jacky, you may wish to rework it slightly but I think it's adequate, and keeping it close to top is better so that it doesn't get lost in command desc.

Yes, it's linked via "Hot" section, but a user might not notice that so figured an extra pointer wouldn't hurt...I found the library via this thread, as I didn't happen to see the "Hot" link myself. :oops:

Comment: Suggest putting the Login boxes at bottom vs top as that makes it more inviting to ppl who just want to D/L scripts...or if it could be in upper right corner so that it doesn't appear that one may have to login to retrieve scripts, which it may do as is now.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Yes, it's linked via "Hot" section, but a user might not notice that so figured an extra pointer wouldn't hurt...I found the library via this thread, as I didn't happen to see the "Hot" link myself. :oops:
Well, at the same time that link (under "hot") has been up for only a few hours, and you already know it exists ;)
j_c_hallgren wrote:Comment: Suggest putting the Login boxes at bottom vs top as that makes it more inviting to ppl who just want to D/L scripts...or if it could be in upper right corner so that it doesn't appear that one may have to login to retrieve scripts, which it may do as is now.
Yes, you might be right. I moved the login area to the bottom of the page for now. Might not be ideal (especially on other pages), but I think it might be enough for anyone who wants to share scripts and thus login/register. As you said, anybody else can browse around and download freely so no need for more.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic