Great tool, but ...

Say it if you mean it...
rody

Great tool, but ...

Post by rody »

I've just discovered and installed TV3 on my Windows 2000 SP4 laptop. It looks very usefull and corresponds to the File Explorer I've been expecting for many years : previews, tabs, toggle folders and files, advanced rename features, Info to clipboard; all this good stuff in the same tool makes it great.

But there is a huge problem : it [b]hangs[/b]. This does not happen on a specific action and I did not notice any abnormal CPU consuming, but at any time, it can remain hangeg for 30s or 1min, which makes it in fact unusable.
Do you think it can come from my installation (I just followed the standard installation and added gdiplus.dll manually as explained on the DL page) or did some other people encounter the same kind of problems.

I would just be the most happier guy on the planet if I could have this tool working correctly ;-)

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Hi rody and welcome.

I've never had any problems with TrackerV3 hanging, but here are a couple of ideas.

Do you have "Tools | Configuration | General | Show folder sizes in file list" on by any chance? That causes a delay but you should see processor activity, which you say you do not.

I assume that you checked if TrackerV3 ran before you installed GdiPlus.dll. If not it might be worth removing GdiPlus.dll from the TrackerV3 directory and seeing what happens. It may already be on your system.

rody

Post by rody »

Show folder size is off
Tracker V3 was not working without gdiplus.dll

Thanks anyway

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still hangs? Sorry, but I have no idea what could be happening. It never hung on me.

Jens

Post by Jens »

First of all a big hug and thanks for this really useful programme.

Now, unfortunately, I seem to experience the same problem as Rody - at times, Tracker hangs and does not react anymore while the Task Manager does not show any unusual CPU usage.
I definitely recall this behaviour occuring while renaming a tab, or when right-clicking on a file to pop up the context menu.
However, this behaviour is not always reproducable, most of the time Tracker runs without fault.

The version of Tracker I am currently running is 4.00.0131 on Windows 2000 SP4

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jens wrote:The version of Tracker I am currently running is 4.00.0131 on Windows 2000 SP4
Hmm, again Windows 2000 SP4, just like Rody... let's wait till the 3rd user reports a hang.