Hide Desktop/Documents/Downloads, etc?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
fyzgyg

Hide Desktop/Documents/Downloads, etc?

Post by fyzgyg »

Hi, new trial user here. I'm trying to find an Explorer replacement that will let me configure it to display only 'real' paths.

I never want to see directory paths that are incomplete or 'virtual' (I find them confusing and frustrating), and I want 'back' or 'up' navigation arrows to only navigate up one step in the 'real' path (so if I click a shortcut/link to c:\Users\Me\OneDrive\Documents, then click 'back' or 'up', I should be taken to c:\Users\Me\OneDrive\, not back to where the shortcut/link was.

Can XYPlorer be configured to behave in this way?

Thanks!

highend

Re: Hide Desktop/Documents/Downloads, etc?

Post by highend »

I never want to see directory paths that are incomplete
Where do you see incomplete paths in the tree?

To disable items you don't want to see: Configuration | General | Tree and List | Items in Tree and List | Select Items...
so if I click a shortcut/link to c:\Users\Me\OneDrive\Documents, then click 'back' or 'up', I should be taken to c:\Users\Me\OneDrive\, not back to where the shortcut/link was
The "Up" button in the toolbar behaves that way already?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

fyzgyg

Post by fyzgyg »

highend wrote: 02 May 2024 10:55
I never want to see directory paths that are incomplete
Where do you see incomplete paths in the tree?
Here is an example

If I click on the 'Desktop' item the path displayed is simply 'Desktop', rather than the actual path of the Desktop folder. Clicking 'Up' for that item as displayed goes to 'This PC'. I prefer that 'Up' from 'Desktop' always goes to 'OneDrive', never to 'This PC' because 'Desktop' is contained in '\Users\Me\Onedrive'. (I appreciate that others like virtual paths, but I prefer to never use them).
highend wrote: 02 May 2024 10:55
so if I click a shortcut/link to c:\Users\Me\OneDrive\Documents, then click 'back' or 'up', I should be taken to c:\Users\Me\OneDrive\, not back to where the shortcut/link was
The "Up" button in the toolbar behaves that way already?
It does not, at least not always. It navigates 'up' in the current path, which isn't necessarily the real path. What I mean is that I want to always navigate based on the file system path, never on the virtual or short version of the path. One way, and probably the simplest, to accomplish this is for me to avoid using virtual paths, which is what I'm trying to configure XYPlorer to do.
highend wrote: 02 May 2024 10:55 To disable items you don't want to see: Configuration | General | Tree and List | Items in Tree and List | Select Items...
Ah, that's a big part of what I was looking for, thanks!

This is closer to what I want. I can leave the 'Links' virtual folder enabled and place .lnk files there as shortcuts, and then the real path is used.

Unfortunately, the 'Mini Tree' option breaks this by restoring the display of virtual items, but I can leave that turned off.

It would be nice if the tree view on the left had a shortcuts panel at the top that was accessable when the root of the tree is scrolled off the top of the panel, but I can work around that with the context menu in the panel (which also continues to display the virtual locations, but that's ok, because from this menu they usually use the real path (If the corresponding virtual item is enabled in the tree view, the item in the context menu then uses the virtual path rather than the real path). If the tree view worked like that I'd leave the virtual locations in the tree view enabled).

highend

Post by highend »

Then define your own up button?

Add a user button to your toolbar
Name: E.g. "Up"
Icon: :up
On left click: goto gpc(resolvepath(<curpath>), "path");
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal