XY subreddit

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

XY subreddit

Post by admin »

I noticed that TC has its own subreddit on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalcommander/

I think XY should have one too. Is there anyone here who knows their way around reddit? I want to know:
- Is this a good idea?
- (If yes) How is it done?

phred

Re: XY subreddit

Post by phred »

I use Reddit only when there is no alternative (forum, email, etc) for support of an application. Personally I think it's a cesspool which contains a lot of mis-information. Yes, I've gotten correct answers occasionally but it's often not worth it. That's just my opinion.

The question you should be asking yourself, Don, is do you have the time to offer support on another platform in addition to the forum you have here?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I've been browsing reddit for a while now, and I have the same impression. The level of knowledge and civility is not much better than Twitter. Both seem to be moderated mostly by bots and baby AI.

And yes, the time question is also valid :)

Also, the TC thread is almost dead. So the impression is that reddit is not the place for serious software discussion.

Question is: Where is that place??? Or is AI the final chapter in the overall dumbing down of the Web?

Anyway, the real issue here is: XY needs more publicity. How can this be done?

phred

Post by phred »

Perhaps you should seek out some software aggregator sites and/or software review bloggers.

I just checked FileForum (https://fileforum.com/) and BetaNews (https://betanews.com/). The most review of XY at BetaNews is from nine years ago. FileForum's only download of XY is v23.00.0300.

PortableApps.com has a "Windows Explorer Replacement" thread that mentions XY, but it's from 2008. FWIW, the one comment mentioning XY says "XYplorer is the only really good file manager I've found. Unfortunately, it costs money."

WindowsCentral.com (a fairly decent review site) has no mention of XY.

I'm sure there are plenty of others (some of which may not be worth the pixels they use) but these are the ones I use the majority of the time.

Horst

Post by Horst »

admin wrote: 26 Apr 2024 14:31 Also, the TC thread is almost dead. So the impression is that reddit is not the place for serious software discussion.
Reddit is of no real value for TC users.
Total Commander's own forums are very active and gives qualified help for all topics.
I'm active in these forums since many years.

For me, the XY forums do almost the same for new and experienced users.
There is a major difference, as a lot of programmers support TC with their free plugins.
These users are a large knowledge pool, a little bit comparable with the XY script Gurus.

I don't have a good idea how to make XY more public.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.77

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@ phred: Thanks, but been there done that. Many years ago. These sites are completely robotic these days, they are just click farming machines. Probably most of the clicks come from bots too, so it's a pointless cycle.

IMO YouTube would be the best channel these days. Videos are more intellectually compatible with the majority (I include myself here) than text. But of course I have no time to make videos.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, if you google "file manager windows 11" (no quotes), XY (and a few others) are listed as *freeware*. I find it fascinating that such nonsense can appear in such a prominent place, with all the processing power, swarm intelligence, and AI we're so proud of.
Attachments
file manager windows 11.png
file manager windows 11.png (100.41 KiB) Viewed 216 times

phred

Post by phred »

admin wrote: 26 Apr 2024 16:59 @ phred: Thanks, but been there done that. Many years ago. These sites are completely robotic these days, they are just click farming machines. Probably most of the clicks come from bots too, so it's a pointless cycle.
Sorry to hear that, but I suppose you're correct. Everything is click-driven. And with spiders crawling all over the web, plus AI, we're all doomed.
IMO YouTube would be the best channel these days. Videos are more intellectually compatible with the majority (I include myself here) than text. But of course I have no time to make videos.
Have you considered reaching out to some of the forum users who are requesting options for video files?

highend

Post by highend »

Have you considered reaching out to some of the forum users who are requesting options for video files?
Whenever you tell them: Ok, do them and contribute they :ghost:

I could do this but time is precious...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

phred

Post by phred »

highend wrote: 26 Apr 2024 17:26 Whenever you tell them: Ok, do them and contribute they :ghost:
I'm a moderator on another forum and the users have been complaining that the FAQ on the WiKi is out of date. The answer is always "you can update any part of it you want." And it never gets done. But they'll still complain.

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

hi! what would be extremely helpful for me would be a simple "gif cam" of each new major feature in the release notes. just a small recorded animated gif showing how to access/create/use/etc. the new feature - no audio or text would be needed.

once a new feature is released, it's takes me a lot of time to find it and try to use it. i think simple "gif cams" would help a lot. sometimes i get frustrated not understanding a new option or feature and just ignore it after some searching. the "video" demonstration would help out tremendously.