Portable Device 'simple backup'

Features wanted...
PeterH

Portable Device 'simple backup'

Post by PeterH »

I connected my camera to the PC. Learned that it's a "portable device"...

There are some restrictions. OK.

But especially: copy to PC is possible, but for pictures backup would be rather neccessary, especially *not* to change any dates.

And, as it seems, there's almost no scripting: script commands do not understand a path like 'Z 50\Wechselmedien' or 'Z 50\Wechselmedien\DCIM'. (Commands that can refer to the current list can do so, if there's such a device open.)

Having read the documentation the absolute missing minimum for (manual, i.e. by UI) camera-copy would be the ability to copy to PC with unchanged dates. All further actions could be done later, by scripts, on the PC itself.

So the question / wish: is there some hope for this, i.e. 'copy with unchanged date.created', now or in the near future?
(I don't expect it - but just ask...)
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

RalphM

Re: Portable Device 'simple backup'

Post by RalphM »

Portable devices use some crappy/restricted protocol (MPT if I recall correctly) which (also from memory) doesn't allow for such finesse.
However, I'm sure that your camera uses some form of memory card that could be hooked up to your computer with a reader that accepts the same.
After that you have all the power of XY at your hands to backup/copy/move as you wish and per your settings in XY.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

phred

Post by phred »

RalphM wrote: 09 Apr 2024 14:40 However, I'm sure that your camera uses some form of memory card that could be hooked up to your computer with a reader that accepts the same.
This!
I never use my camera's software to copy from it to the PC. I pull the card, place it in my PC's card reader and -copy- the files to my designated directory. The created dates remains the same and the modified date changes to when the file was copied over. Do this and you have your solution.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Lately to get photos I want on the phone to my photo folders on the computer, I let android (in my case a Google Pixel 8 Pro) put the photos in the cloud - Google Photos. I then transfer them from Google Photos to folders on the computer. Sounds convoluted, but it's actually not that bad since Google will send them to Google Photos anyway. I can do some editing while they're on Google Photos if need be...usually cropping...before downloading. There are plenty of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth transfer utilities as well.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440