Right click slow/delay

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Right click slow/delay

Post by admin »

Your report is in the right place, and it has been read. Patience.

wilsonju

Post by wilsonju »

i have the same problem, when delete Contents64.exe ContextMenu64.exe leave by old version, it seems turn right.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you also see an error message?

dkump

Post by dkump »

Typically I don't get any message. I right click, the cursor is hourglass for a second, and menu never pops up. If I try over and over rapidly, I can sometimes get an error. See my reply on March 3 for an error I got once. I had another error one time, but couldn't reproduce to get a screen shot.

Antieve

Post by Antieve »

Many swords have been broken about the context menu of the XYPlorer :)

If you are using the 7zip archiver, make sure you are using the latest version. In 2022, I found a critical (for this case) bug in the 7zip program that significantly slows down the context menu on all versions of Windows OS.
Here is my article on this topic (in Russian). And official ticket

It is worth cleaning the context menu from all unnecessary stuff, because in your case it can be any other software from the menu

audiessy

Post by audiessy »

I'm having the same issue. I can't pinpoint when it started, but it wasn't always like this.

It takes about the same, 5-10 seconds for the right click menu to pop up, to the point where I'd be in the middle of something else and it would pop up randomly on my cursor.

I've done many of the things in this thread (I'm still sifting through it all) including uninstalling 7-Zip but the issue persists.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one going through it.

dkump

Post by dkump »

Turning off the 64-bit context menu does help a lot. However I still need the 64-bit menu, so now I have to right click on the folder/file, then choose "Show 64-bit context menu". That takes me back to the same problem. It's really slow the first time (5 sec) to show the 64-bit menu, but subsequent attempts are faster. Microsoft can do it correctly, so hoping XYplorer can do it sometime soon as well.

highend

Post by highend »

We are working on a new version but NO promises atm when it’ll be done (so don’t ask for it)…
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wilsonju wrote: 17 Mar 2024 02:37 i have the same problem, when delete Contents64.exe ContextMenu64.exe leave by old version, it seems turn right.
Contents64.exe? It has nothing to do with the context menu.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

audiessy wrote: 25 Mar 2024 19:21 I'm having the same issue. I can't pinpoint when it started, but it wasn't always like this.
Nothing has been changed here recently.

You can try older versions to verify your assumption: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

dkump

Post by dkump »

The problem has been around for a long time. I opened this post in Nov. 2022, so it's been around at least 1 1/2 years. I believe I was on version 23.7 at that time. I just recently spent hours narrowing down the problem after dealing with it for so long. There's not yet a promise when it will be fixed, but thankful it's now accepted as a real issue and not just me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note that I do not see your problem here. The first opening of the menu is slow in both XYplorer and Explorer, then it's fast in both applications (even after closing and reopening them). The menu is owned by the shell and obviously there is some caching going on.

You will probably see a smaller delay if you disable this:
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu

dkump

Post by dkump »

For me, Windows File Explorer is practically instantaneous. I get full context menu with no delay. In XYplorer, the first time the menu takes at least 5 seconds. Sometimes it never opens, more likely after I've used XYplorer for a while with normal use. A few times, I get an XYplorer fatal error message. Again, File Explorer works without any issues. See my previous posts for more details.

I've tried disabling some of the context options in XYplorer configuration settings. Yes, the menu pops up faster, but I'm missing much of my context menu. Faster isn't better if the menus are missing. I can still get to the full menu by choosing "Show 64 bit Context Menu", but then I'm back to the original problem of waiting or no menu.

My computer is new, 11th Gen i7 Intel processor, 32 GB Ram, and SSD drive. I don't have any mapped drives or anything via network (i.e. no onedrive or anything like that). File Explorer is fast, but XYplorer is not. Changing XYplorer settings alters the speed and issue. Certainly seems like a bug. I can reproduce it 100% of the time. I'm more than willing to provide debug information or anything else to help troubleshoot the problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks for the info so far. There is no solution in sight at the moment, but we are keeping an eye on it.