{GUI,Other} Improvements - Feature Request

Features wanted...

People Interested in Refined GUI,Other Improvements for XYPlorer

Poll runs till 28 Jun 2024 14:42

Refined GUI like Windows
No votes
Proper Categorization of Functionality within XYPlorer represented in GUI
No votes
Ability to Save partial Folder Paths to Favorite Folders (Files) - For Portability
No votes
Keep things as they are.
100%

Total votes: 3

_pA89

{GUI,Other} Improvements - Feature Request

Post by _pA89 »

Win1.jpg
Win1.jpg (98.23 KiB) Viewed 226 times
XYPlorer.jpg
XYPlorer.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 226 times
It so happens that if you open program after certain period of time - its easier to forget what those icons stand for .... even though you carefully trimmed them at time of your work
- Better to put them in organized and classify them appropriately into correct categories and ability to do so given to user (Smaller icons near explanations)
- Wider Ribbon and ability to collapse it

This Gives GUI more professional and refined look - Easier to understand at first glance (~ Explorer interface but with added functionality)

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS (TO DOs)

- Ability to Save partial Folder Paths to Favorite Folders (also Files) ---- For Portability
  • + Windows Assigns different Drive Letters when USB attached Hard Coding Entire paths renders favorite folder Selection useless.
    + Sometimes we remember partial paths but not the root folders (which could have changed)
    + Avoid Repeated Search of Same File

- Add Current Folder/File to Favorite List by Context menu in addition to Manage Favorite Folder/Files

- Ability to Save all User Settings Data in One File (.zip ?) and ability to restore state of Application From it.

- Ability to Highlight Files with Same Hash Value within a Folder - To Quickly identify duplicates with different name

- Column Layouts of created By User Integrated into Context Menu instead of separately loading from File

- Hotlist based on ----- {Run-Count/Number of Times Opened}- For Files. {1. Run Count-Times Visited-Clicked, 2. Activity in Folder-Based on clicks within Folder=Active Time Spent} - For Folders

- Show Hidden File Items in Context Menu?

P.S:
- Drag and Drop wont work from Windows to XYPlorer
- Move Fails for Overlong Folder-Files ... Copy Works, Delete Works (All Settings Correctly Set Including Windows) - Observed on USB Pen drive
- Application Takes excessive time to navigate subfolders with {Calculate Folders Sizes, File Count in Folder, CRC32 for files} Option Enabled (Just Moving Back and Forth takes time) ... This Should have been instantaneous...Looks Like Caching Isn't doing its job Perfectly.
Last edited by _pA89 on 31 Mar 2024 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: {GUI,Other} Improvements - Feature Request

Post by admin »

Here comes the brainstorm. As a newbie, you should focus on one thing, read about it in the help, read about it in the forum, etc... the obvious stuff. Then start a new thread about that one thing.

daniel_m

Post by daniel_m »

The poll doesn't have an option to keep things as they are?

The whole point of XYplorer is that it doesn't look and behave like Windows Explorer. Because ... Windows Explorer sucks, a lot :biggrin:

You could just enable "Show Button Captions" temporarily, until you remember what the buttons do. Or declutter the toolbar to only show essential buttons and use the menu items for stuff you only use once in a while. The Microsoft Ribbons are an overcomplicated waste of space in every program that uses them.

The hash value feature sounds like it would be extremely slow due to hash calculations. You can use RapidCRC Unicode and easily add the CRC32 hash to file names. Or use the very powerful CloneSpy to get rid of duplicate files. (Oh, you already found out about hash calculations being time consuming yourself. While caching would help somewhat, it doesn't help with new or modified files. And it sounds like a difficult task to keep and maintaine a database.)

I can move files and folders with overlong paths just fine. Even drag & drop from/to Windows Explorer works.

phred

Post by phred »

_pA89 wrote: 20 Mar 2024 13:42 - Drag and Drop wont work from Windows to XYPlorer
I can't recall ever not being able to drag and drop in either direction.

_pA89

Post by _pA89 »

In my opinion Windows explorer ribbon is most professional way(visual) of presenting things to user (do they use some optics research (being authors of DirectX) experts here?) ...though it lacks lot of user required customization/functionality(behavior) provided by XYPlorer....there can be an option for users to switch interface according to user under different visual themes.

if I am wrong, you can correct me.
- "You could just enable "Show Button Captions" temporarily, until you remember what the buttons do. Or declutter the toolbar to only show essential buttons"
This doesn't come under "professional" way...Properly (functionality) categorized tabbed interface presenting meaning for icon. only then a hardcopy of interface is understandable!

P.S.:
+ Show Button Captions - (Definitely) Not done Properly.
+ Icons Must at least be self-Explainable/Universal
You can use RapidCRC
AllDup, Duplicate Cleaner do this very well.... I was thinking hash values have to be cached and recalculate button provided just like for folder sizes so that we don't have to switch software for simple functionality...highlighting same hash values files as one option as in Color Filter would be great as pointed out.
drag & drop from/to Windows Explorer works
I am Sorry Due to Different Privileges(admin) drag and drop didn't work for me then - Wouldn't an option be better to make it Work even in such a case?
move files and folders with overlong paths just fine.
This Worked for Me when I Removed/Untick Option ---- Use Cutom Copy->...->For Cross-Volume Moves Only ----(Exact Meaning of this action not (easily)understood from Manual - how it happens for Overlong paths)

P.S.: The poll now has the option to keep the things the way they are. :appl:
Last edited by _pA89 on 31 Mar 2024 21:03, edited 1 time in total.