Possible Oddity with Topmost Window ?

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
GreetingsFromPoland

Possible Oddity with Topmost Window ?

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

hi! for almost 2 months now i am experiencing an issue with certain programs no longer being the topmost window after launching. these other programs have never had this issue before; however, they have received updates in the past (same for windows update), so it's a little trying to narrow down the cause. previously, i would launch a program from the taskbar and it's front-and-center, now it is not. one example is PHPStorm (PS) and DataGrip. i had just accepted it as "stupid windows 10 as usual".

today i launched the apps and everything opened perfectly, as before. close them, rebooted, did it again and there they are, front-and-center like before. checked my "normal" apps that i generally always have open, e.g. firefox, thunderbird, notepad++ and XY, wait..., i didn't have XY opened !

next i tried :
  • closed PS, opened XY, opened PS and it went to the back.
  • closed PS. left XY opened, made firefox the active window, launched PS and again, to the back.
  • closed PS and XY, launched PS and it went to the front !
  • closed it again, opened XY (active window), launched PS and it went to the back again !
is XY doing something in the background to stay on top ? i didn't see anything in the settings. this also happens with a few other apps (not many that i have found), same scenario - as long as XY is open, they don't open front-and-center.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible Oddity with Topmost Window ?

Post by admin »

Did not try to reproduce, but I can answer this:
GreetingsFromPoland wrote: 09 Mar 2024 13:25 is XY doing something in the background to stay on top ?
No.

GreetingsFromPoland

Re: Possible Oddity with Topmost Window ?

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

thanks ! that is all i needed to hear and can check XY off as a possible culprit.

i think i'll end up using a function in DisplayFusion to force that window to the top when the process is created.