Access to network shared folders

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kiwichick

Access to network shared folders

Post by kiwichick »

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

I know this is a Windows question rather than an XY one but it does affect XY and I've asked on more than one Windows forum and no one has answered.

Why does Windows 'lose' access to network shared folders? I notice this usually happens after waking from sleep or hibernation but sometimes it just happens randomly - I'm in a shared folder, go to a non-shared folder, return to a shared folder and the shared folder is no longer accessible (although I'm still able to access the PC that has the shared folders via Remote Desktop). If I'm given the option to run the Windows troubleshooter, no problems are found, and I have to restart my PC to get the access back. Is there any way to fix this other than restarting the PC?
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

JLoftus

Re: Access to network shared folders

Post by JLoftus »

One thing to try: close XY, delete the remembered credentials from windows Credential Manager, then remap the share.

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

JLoftus wrote: 16 Feb 2024 19:43 then remap the share.
Thanks for the tip, I don't mind giving it a go but I don't know what you mean by remap the share. If I do that, will that be the end of the issue or will it be something I'll need to do every time I lose access to the network shared folders? And, do I delete the credentials on the computer that has the shared folders, or the computer I'm using to access them, or both?
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I suggested remapping, as I'm assuming you've assigned a drive letter to the network share, e.g. T:\bar, rather than accessing the share each time using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC), that is in the form of \\Server\Share, e.g. \\Rocket\Foo\bar

By remapping, you detach the assigned drive letter (in the above example "T:"), from the share (above \\Rocket\Foo), and then reassign the drive letter. This need only be done once if you choose to "remember" the credentials.

I've seen (albeit rarely) where sometimes the mapped credentials appear to be confused, and if you use Windows Explorer to revisit the resource, you would get prompted for the credentials again, but XY doesn't always seem to prompt for the credentials, instead failing somewhat silently. By closing XY and remapping the share (thus resetting the stored credentials), I was hoping that might solve your issue.

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

JLoftus wrote: 17 Feb 2024 15:07 I'm assuming you've assigned a drive letter to the network share, e.g. T:\bar, rather than accessing the share each time using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC), that is in the form of \\Server\Share, e.g. \\Rocket\Foo\bar
Unfortunately, you assumed wrong. I had no idea I could assign a drive letter to the shares.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Well, the credentials you supply using the UNC connection are still stored in the Windows Credential Manager, so it's still worthwhile to go there and delete the stored credentials for the network resource, then reestablish them by navigating (in Windows Explorer) to \\Server\Share. Tip: It's more convenient to map a drive letter to this resource, just choose "Map Network Drive" from either the My Computer context menu orfrom the overflow menu at the top of WE:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (96.5 KiB) Viewed 353 times

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

JLoftus wrote: 17 Feb 2024 22:06 It's more convenient to map a drive letter to this resource, just choose "Map Network Drive" from either the My Computer context menu orfrom the overflow menu at the top of WE:

Untitled.png
Thanks for the advice. I apologise if these seems like a dumb questions but do I do that on the computer I use to access the shared folders, or the computer that contains the shared folders? And does it make any difference if the shared folders are on external drives?
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

You do the mapping on the computer you're connecting from.

Does not matter whether the shared resource is on internal or external drives, as long as you are able to access it using UNC, then you will be able to map a drive letter for persistence.

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

JLoftus wrote: 21 Feb 2024 14:28 You do the mapping on the computer you're connecting from.

Does not matter whether the shared resource is on internal or external drives, as long as you are able to access it using UNC, then you will be able to map a drive letter for persistence.
Thank you so much for your help. I've mapped the drives so hopefully that will be an end to the loss of access issue I was having.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

JLoftus wrote: 21 Feb 2024 14:28 you will be able to map a drive letter for persistence.
Well, it was persistent 4 days then lost access again. Darn it! Windows Explorer and XY say "Disconnected network drive". I shall do some searching online and see if I can find out why.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2