Improve the terrible drag&drop scroll behavior with a scroll speed widget

Features wanted...
daniel_m

Improve the terrible drag&drop scroll behavior with a scroll speed widget

Post by daniel_m »

Sorry for the click-bait. The terrible scroll speed behaviour when dragging items is actually a Windows issue :biggrin:
But, maybe XYplorer could fix what MS never did?

Description of the issue:

When dragging items (to copy or move) to places that are currently out of view, Windows will start scrolling the window content when the mouse cursor reaches the border of the window/content. The scroll speed is a set standard speed, that increases while the cursor is being moved. To move a file/folder from one location to another location that is far away in the tree, one has to wait a long time until the new location comes into view. Wiggling the mouse does speed up the process, but not by much, and scrolling can stop completely when the mouse cursor accidentally hovers outside of the "scroll sensitive area".

Possible solution:

When the mouse cursor (1) reaches the top/bottom of the window/content while dragging a file/folder (2), a scroll speed widget could magically appear (2). The grey area would align with the mouse cursor. Upon moving the cursor into the gradient, the scroll speed would depend on the cursor position within the widget (3). Left is slow, right is fast.
I don't know if there are standard values that would fit everyone. So, maybe 0.5x to 5x could be the default, but the speed range could be configurable in the settings. And, since this is XYplorer navigating a file system, the scroll speed widget should only be invoked for vertical scrolling.

scroll_speed_2.png
scroll_speed_2.png (53.89 KiB) Viewed 437 times

eil

Re: Improve the terrible drag&drop scroll behavior with a scroll speed widget

Post by eil »

It's just my opinion and i'm not here to de-value your suggestion, but you already mentioned in description of the process, that there are many other problems with long-drag-scrolling that may happen - so maybe it's not the best way to handle the task at all..?
While you're waiting for dev to say his word about your idea, i'd propose you check out Glider feature.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

daniel_m

Post by daniel_m »

But ... the problems I described stem from the weird MS Windows behaviour.
The glider feature didn't work for me because I managed to click on it by accident too often. I don't know if a scroll widget would be difficult or confusing to use ... because I have never seen a program using one. But at least, the worst thing that can go wrong is that one has to scroll back again. And it would be an option that can be disabled anyways.

I could only imagine that it is quite a lot of work to code, and it might be too much work for something that might turn out to not work very well. Still, I think it is a very interesting feature to try out, and very unique too.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not as unhappy as you are with the current hot scrolling.

Anyway, the next big feature (big here means a lot of work for me) is native scrollbars. This will make scrolling generally work and look better.

daniel_m

Post by daniel_m »

admin wrote: 26 Jan 2024 13:17 I'm not as unhappy as you are with the current hot scrolling.
I might be a special case and one of few people who own a NAS that can be difficult to navigate :biggrin:

Looking forward to the native scrollbars 💖