Use external CopyHandler (ExtremeCopy) as default for copy/move operations?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
rolander

Re: Use external CopyHandler (ExtremeCopy) as default for copy/move operations?

Post by rolander »

Great!! That's the list I was missing. I'll keep using XYcopy then. Thanks a lot for the help.

Just 2 notes about this (maybe bugs?):

1- I had already enables the "Backround processing"and "Queue files" in the settings. Shouldn't these settings be reflected when right-clicking this icon? They were not checked there.

2- When I open the queue list while copying a folder with many files, the copy operation briefly stops. During this pause, the copy window becomes unresponsive, similar to what happens when a Windows program temporarily hangs and stops responding. This interruption lasts for several seconds.

Thanks again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. Sure the settings should be reflected in this menu and they are here. Are you sure it is not working for you?
2. Really? Not here. Is this reproducible?

rolander

Post by rolander »

Not sure what changed but now both things work as expected.
Thanks a lot for your help!

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

admin wrote: 06 Jan 2024 14:40 [...] I use XYplorer for all copying. [...]
How do I need to setup XY to handle all copying? I have the impression that XY uses the Win internal (Explorer?) copy routines, which are horrible in my experience. As soon as you want to start more files or larger ones the copy process often is hanging. I just wanted to copy allmost 3000 files (around 10 to 30 MB mostly) and Explorer takes forever and often bogs down and halts before continue to copy. I then tried Salamander and the files where copied in high speed in just a few minutes. When I use XY it is the same like with Explorer and takes forever and halts the copy process very often. :-(

I just did some more testing and XY seems to be super slow, when I copy files to the internal SSD, copying from the SSD to the external drive (SSD as well) is much quicker, which does seem odd, because the internal drive could be much faster.

rolander

Post by rolander »

Take a look at the screengrab of the settings I posted before.

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

rolander wrote: 19 Jan 2024 23:05 Take a look at the screengrab of the settings I posted before.
I have the settings exactly as in your screenshot and get the described problems. XY is not usable for me, as soon as I want to copy more files. :-(

highend

Post by highend »

XYcopy.exe is excluded from Antivirus?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

highend wrote: 19 Jan 2024 23:51 XYcopy.exe is excluded from Antivirus?
Thanks. No, it was not, but (just using the Windows built-in scanner)

1) Salamander is not excluded as well and copies with high speed and no lag
2) After excluding XYcopy.exe, there is still no change for the better with XY and it stalls still often and for many seconds. We are not talking about a bit slower, but a few minutes with Salamander compared to maybe an hour (that is the estimation I get shown, I did not wait for so long)

Finally forcing to exclude a process I am not sure is a good idea and will not be possible when you do not have admin rights (my work PC, where I also use XY).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are here since 2016. You say copying stalls. Are you saying this is a new problem that was not present in previous versions?

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

Indeed I am using XY now for quite a few years and always had the problem that the program seems to hang as soon as I have operations with many files. I do not have to copy large amounts of files that often, therefore I continued to use XY. But I have posted a few times and in the end did not find a solution, always wondering why others seem to have no similar problems.

I think XY would be one of the best file managers, if a) that speed problem could be solved and b) it would be easier to make use of the many cool functions it offers (for example with a video tutorial series -- giving an overview of possible work scenarios/ flows).

I do not want to hijack that thread and thought that using another CopyHandler could solve my speed problems, therefore I posted the reply here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been using XY to copy large amounts of files every day for many, many years, and I never see any hangs or stalls. I really don't know where to look. I don't think the problem is with XYplorer.

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

Thanks for the reaction. Although I must say I find that very disappointing. I have a lifetime license and have used XY on different PCs in the last years. XY never reacted quick for those file operations, so it was basically useless for file-managing as soon I needed to really handle more then folders with a relatively low amount of files (I would say in the hundreds possibly)!

I never really have been using the Explorer regular since Windows XP, because I found it to be lacking in too many ways, but I have used Salamander (versions 1 and 2) for many years before using XY and I never had any problems (no bugs I stumbled upon and no speed problems). Also today I when I was testing with Salamander 4 I did not have any speed problems. How should the problem not be related to XY or how it handles file operations then? Somehow XY does not work as it should! Explorer has the exact same problems, so I thought that XY internally uses the same routines like Explorer? That was the reason I now thought another copy handler might be a solution.

Why do I not just stop using XY when I always had those speed/ hanging problems? Because it would be a great file manager otherwise and I avoided large copy operations with it! But just stating basically "good luck, I do not care why it is so slow for you, it works for me -- so you must be somehow dumb and doing something strange with your system" (not literally, but between the lines) is really extremely disappointing. BTW, I do not know what I could be doing wrong, as I had not installed any file handling tools or made strange settings in the OS.

To solve the puzzle hopefully I invested the whole evening (a few hours again) to get XY working fine for me finally. I did extensive testing of copying speeds.

Test: 2864 files, most about 10 to 40 MB file size, total size is 62,9 GB. I copied from an external SSD to an internal SSD. The time it took are as follows:

Explorer, XY and Perigee: Would take forever (maybe 1,5 hours or 2 or even more), so I stopped after some time.
Fastcopy (default settings): 12 minutes
Teracopy: 9 minutes
Directory Opus 12 and Servant Salamander 4 and Copy Handler (integrated in Explorer): all three a tiny bit over 3 minutes

Opus, Salamander and Copy Handler (in Explorer) where the only options where the copy operation did not seem to halt in between, but kept running till it was finished. All others did make shorter or longer breaks between files (after some files being copied more or less fast). So it is something like file number 1, 2, 3, 4, .... (halt for some time), 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, .... (halting again) and so on. I do not know if there is a pattern how many files are actually copied before it stops -- just to illustrate the principle.

So yes, I agree that the system (Win 11, 64 Bit -- with as far I am aware of only standard settings: Windows Defender on, Indexing on, ...) possibly can have a negative influence. I wondered how that could be solved. So I also tried quite a few tips how to improve file operations speed, by changing some OS options like turning off Real-time-protection. None of them made any difference.

Is there anything which would be needed to be configured in the OS or in XY, so that I can have similar speeds like with the fast three options I tested? Why are those programs running quick, while XY is not?

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Have you ever checked Ctrl + Help/Various Information?
It shows you a list of settings that might slow down XY.

Excluding XY from AV always helps as well.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

Thanks Ralph, I had excluded XYCopy from the virus scanner already (see posts above, not sure if this is something one should do btw), but that did not help. I now excluded all XY*.exe files from the virus scanner -- with no luck as well.
Even if that would work: why do the other two file managers I tested have no problems when they are not excluded!?

The various info from the help menu you mentioned did not help me to find any bottlenecks (for completeness a copy below). I also searched the help file for ways to set up XY to respond quick, but could not find something. :(

Code: Select all

XYplorer: 25.40.0400 - Lifetime License Enterprise
Startup Time: 1.194 ms at 21.01.2024 13:01:09
Uptime: 57 mins, 28 secs   Runtime Library Version: 6.00.9848
Memory Usage: 94.044 KB, Virtual Memory Size: 40.668 KB

OS: Windows 11 Pro, 64-bit, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3007 (10.0), .NET v4.8.09032
Time Zone: W. Europe Standard Time   UTC Offset: +01:00
User Role: User   UI Language: English
Themes: Yes   RealSystem32: Yes

System / Thread Locale ID: 1033 (en-US) / 1031 (de-DE)
Default ANSI Code Page: 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
Active ANSI Code Page: 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
Default OEM code page: 850   (OEM - Multilingual Latin I)
Active OEM Code Page: 437   (OEM - United States)
DBCS Code Page: No
Main Contents Font: Segoe UI 9
Buttons & Labels Font: Segoe UI 9

Monitor: 1/2 (Primary)
Screen: 3840x2160   Virtual: (-1080, 0) - (4920, 2168)   Work: (0, 0) - (3840, 2076)
Screen DPI: 168 (175%)   twX: 8 (8)   Stretch: 1,75   sLF: 1,88   Toolbar Zoom: 1,90 (1;1)
Screen Color Depth: 32   Line Spacing: 2 (3,75)
DPI Awareness: Per monitor   Auto Scaling: Yes, Yes

UseDPIAwareIconSizes: Yes
Icon Size: Small=16, Large=32, Extra Large=48, Jumbo=256
Icon Size Controls: Small=28, Large=56, Extra Large=48, Jumbo=256
Icon Size Recommended: Small=28, Large=56, Extra Large=48, Jumbo=256
DblClick Time: 500 ms

App:              	C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe
Ini File:         	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\XYplorer.ini
Catalog:          	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Catalogs\catalog.dat
Tags Database:    	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\tag.dat

App Data:         	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\
Pane 1 Data:      	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\1\
Pane 2 Data:      	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\2\
Catalogs:         	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Catalogs\
Icons:            	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Icons\
New Items:        	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\NewItems\
Paper Folders:    	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Paper\
Scripts:          	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Scripts\
Thumbs Cache:     	C:\Users\pit\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Thumbnails\

Language Support:	8.177
Language:     	No language loaded

highend

Post by highend »

That's not the output of CTRL+click on that menu item :om:
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal