Prevent Accidental Tab CLosure

Features wanted...
laugust

Prevent Accidental Tab CLosure

Post by laugust »

I have a number of tabs I prefer to have open at all times. I've locked the location of these tabs, but sometimes in haste, I press control-w and the tab closes. It would be VERY helpful if tabs could be prevented from closing via the keyboard - e.g.: "locked" tabs could only be closed via selecting an appropriate command in the right-click menu. To be clear - locking a tab's location is a nice/useful feature, but that's not what I am talking about. TIA for any consideration and apologies if this is already possible, but I missed it.

highend

Re: Prevent Accidental Tab CLosure

Post by highend »

Configuration | Tabs and Panes | Tabs | [x] Prompt on closing a locked tab
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

laugust

Post by laugust »

Thank you! I feel foolish for not finding this myself. :(

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

By the way, I never liked this approach. You are just one click away from closing a tab which you wanted to keep open. There was an email client called TheBat. You could prevent deleting messages by so called parking them. If you parked a message, you weren't able to delete it by the normal ways. You had to unpark it explicitely and only then was it possible to delete it. Much safer way.
So I could welcome an option which would make it stricter and would tell me simply: "The tab is locked. To delete, unlock it first. [OK]"

Horst

Post by Horst »

Ignoring Close confirmations is enough, any additional step is wasting users time.
People ignoring such confirmations will also do other harm to their system
and no programming will stop them :)
Btw. deleting an important e-mail is not the same as simply closing a tab.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

There a different kind of users. For me confirmations are sufficient as well.

But I do also think pinned tabs (aka "parked emails", I wouldn't use the term 'locked' as it's already used for tab paths) are a slightly different approach that could suite other users habits better, especially those who tend to 'ignore' confirmations for whatever reasons.

Anyway, for XYplorer there's already an easy way out once this accidentally happens: Restart without Saving.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Or in the case of tabs: create yourself some tabsets with the ones you always want and reload them once it gets too messy.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

eil

Post by eil »

Though i don't have problems with accidental closing pinned tabs, logically i'd expect pinned tabs to have to close button at all. But since this may potentially lead to frustration of some users, not getting that to close pinned tab one needs first to un-pin it, i'd go along with idea of LittleBig = clicking on pinned tab's close button should give message "The tab is locked. To delete, unlock it first. [OK]" without actual close.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

View | Tab | Restore Last Closed Tab