Status Bar Template: System.Video.Frame* properties create huge delay for CERTAIN png files

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Jerry

Status Bar Template: System.Video.Frame* properties create huge delay for CERTAIN png files

Post by Jerry »

[Using 25.00.0100]

I don't know when the problem described below first appeared.

I have the following status bar template:
c||<curlen> | <prop #image.dimensions><prop #audio.bitrate><prop System.Audio.SampleRate ' *n'> <prop #audio.channels '(*)'> (<prop #image.datetaken>) <prop System.Video.FrameWidth '* x '><prop System.Video.FrameHeight> <prop #308 '@ * |'><prop #date.modified>

When I have the template above enabled and move the focus to only certain PNG files, there is a long delay, sometimes with hourglass pointer, until I can move off that file in the list to another. It is not every PNG file, and it is not related to the size of the PNG file -- just specific PNG files for whatever reason.

Through a process of elimination, I have traced the problem to this part of the template string:
<prop System.Video.FrameWidth '* x '><prop System.Video.FrameHeight>
which is odd, because the problematic files are not video files. With actual video files, I also experience some delays, but why should this happen to a non-video file and only certain ones?

Here is a specific file example showing the problem. Download this file to a folder, set up the template in XYplorer /fresh and trying moving onto and away from the file to see the delay. (This file is a rather large PNG file, but I have larger ones than this that don't manifest the problem.)
https://www.starkeeper.it/img/IC434_Full.png
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Status Bar Template: System.Video.Frame* properties create huge delay for CERTAIN png files

Post by admin »

Tested it. No delay at all. :|

Do you get the delay when you select the file and run this?

Code: Select all

echo <prop System.Video.FrameWidth>;

Jerry

Re: Status Bar Template: System.Video.Frame* properties create huge delay for CERTAIN png files

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote: 30 Sep 2023 13:27 Tested it. No delay at all. :|
Do you get the delay when you select the file and run this?

Code: Select all

echo <prop System.Video.FrameWidth>;
Hmmm. :veryconfused: Some kind of gremlin at work here. Now I can't reproduce it either, though there is still a small delay moving on and off the file relative to other files. I've had this issue intermittently for months, and only got around now to report it. I'll have to take another stab at pinning down a reliable example.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I am observing now with this file that it takes 3 seconds from the time I enter "::echo <prop System.Video.FrameWidth>;" in the address bar and the appearance of the Echo popup. With other files, the popup appears right away. Can you confirm that?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nope. No delay.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote: 01 Oct 2023 10:50Nope. No delay.

Ok. I've removed the System.Video.Frame* properties for now. There seems to be something particular to my system environment, external to XYplorer itself, that is contributing to the problem.