Preview .msg files "No Preview Available"

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JLoftus

Re: Preview .msg files "No Preview Available"

Post by JLoftus »

I thought this was discussed but I'm not finding it (or remembering what the answer is)... I have the Preview window working, but MDBU does nothing, is it possible to see the preview in MDBU?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, MDBU just shows static images, aka thumbnails. If you don't get thumbs for MSG then no MDBU.

PlorerXY6

Post by PlorerXY6 »

admin wrote: 19 Apr 2023 16:31 No, MDBU just shows static images, aka thumbnails. If you don't get thumbs for MSG then no MDBU.
So I found b/c the "MsgPreviewer" 64 java previewer makes you lose focus from your files, that I don't like it in Windows Explorer. I changed the various reg keys from:

{37742665-fa1f-4da6-9c29-59fdfba13fd7} BrandsICT Msg Preview Handler
back to:
{53BEDF0B-4E5B-4183-8DC9-B844344FA104} Microsoft Windows MAPI Preview Handler

I had the idea that since XyPlorer had now fixed the focus bug in the new versions, that I could do this in Xyplorer.ini:
UserDefinedPreviewHandlers=.msg>{37742665-fa1f-4da6-9c29-59fdfba13fd7}.

However, though it worked (Explorer uses MAPI previewer, XYPlorer uses the MsgPreviewer), it re-introduced the focus bug in XYP, as I guess it was not done by GUID but by something else by the dev. Can you add a way to fix the focus bug in XYP for user defined msg guid's as per above? Or for this particular GUID? Or can you give us a script that would automatically do it?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you talking about the focus steal fix in v24.30.0001 - 2023-04-13 17:36?

Well, I think so, and the next beta should steal the focus back also for user-defined preview handlers.

PlorerXY6

Post by PlorerXY6 »

admin wrote: 15 Jul 2023 19:03 Are you talking about the focus steal fix in v24.30.0001 - 2023-04-13 17:36?

Well, I think so, and the next beta should steal the focus back also for user-defined preview handlers.
Hi,
I have my MSG previewer in Regedit set to to the default MS Outlook one, so File Explorer can use it (b/c the 64 bit one noted above steals focus from file list).

MS Outlook guid is {53BEDF0B-4E5B-4183-8DC9-B844344FA104}

But in XYplorer, as we know, the MS Outlook MAPI previewer only works once, then all preview pane interactions are broken.

So I manually set the Xyplorer user defined previewer to msg>{37742665-FA1F-4DA6-9C29-59FDFBA13FD7} BrandsICT Msg Preview Handler ---- but even in new beta 60.0109 , it still doesn't focus back to the file list. How can I do that?
------------------
Edit, figured it out, in new betas, xyplorer.ini, in:
PreviewDocsFocusStealFixExt=msg
Make sure msg is there. In mine it was blank. It's a little 'flashy' but it does work to keep focus! Anyway to at least stop the title bar of XYplorer from blinking when it refocuses?

Though I note it doesn't work in full screen preview view (Shift F11), can that be fixed? It loses focus.

Also Foxit PDF host isn't working for me in full screen preview mode unless I scroll once, it's blank before.

Edit3, One more thing, how come now when Name column is shorter than filename, now in renaming (F2), the file name jumps? Looks like a bug. If Name is shorter than column, it doesn't jump.

Edit4, branch view in beta, anyway to fix...
"Renaming folders is only allowed in Browse mode"---but I'm trying to rename a file??? Weird. It's almost like the msg focus is redirecting to the tree? I see both in blue actually, the tree and the main file list.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot do more about focus. The other things I either cannot reproduce or understand. One issue per thread, and be clear.

PlorerXY6

Post by PlorerXY6 »

So I've noticed with the BrandsICT Msg Preview Handle, you can actually type 'into' the previewer (in the body section of a msg) which is rather unexpected behaviour for a preview pane. This is same in File Explorer too if you turn it on there. Is there anyway that XYPlorer can block keyboard input into the MsgPreview guid which is {37742665-fa1f-4da6-9c29-59fdfba13fd7} - APART that is, from Ctrl+C (copy)

Finally, there is unexpected behavior with tree view active with this replacement msg previewer - the autofocus thing works great when only in the file list. But if you select an item in tree view, then click a new msg, then F2 to rename....it's focused on the tree view rather than file list. Can it focus to file list instead upon the 're-focus' tweak?

EDIT: The **floating (sep window)** previewer focus bug also does still exist for this & I think should be captured by that new msg tweak that was input as a custom setting in the ini for preview pane (ie not floating) focus...it should likewise as in file list view with preview pane, but with floating preview pane, be focussing back on the little black bar at bottom of the floating preview window so right/left arrow keys can work to go back and forth. Works with Word previewer/PDF previewer, but not the BrandsICT msg previewer as it seems to need that custom focus switch for everything. Right now I have to click at black bar at bottom of floating preview pane window to get it working properly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Nope, not possible. Better ask BrandsICT.

2) Cannot reproduce.

3) Ok, next beta.