Folder content preview with one more folder level

Features wanted...
LittleBiG

Folder content preview with one more folder level

Post by LittleBiG »

Maybe it is worth a try to bring it up here as well. I regurarly use to open files by the Mouse Up on Folder Icons - Folder Content Preview" and it would be good if one more folder level could be included somehow. (To be able to open the files from there as well easily.)
Examples: Pictures folder with Dates subfolders. But in those, the pictures would have a basic structure like one subfolder with the place where the pictures were taken. Vacation -> 20230821 -> Venice/Rome/Travelling Home
Or in work, monthly folders for reports. Reporting -> Aug_2023 -> Original_Reports/Sent_to_Management
The actual pictures and the reports could be opened from the main Vacation or Reporting folder. In my opinion it is not necessary to go down deeper and make it more complicated.

xy123

Re: Folder content preview with one more folder level

Post by xy123 »

Folder Contents Preview could be a killer feature, but current design is lacking. I mean, you can have the biggest monitor in the world and you will still get a scrollbar if a folder has more than 20 items. Maybe this makes sense for Hover Box, but for Folder Contents Preview not so much IMO.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I understand, but there are problems (to be solved):

1) The MUSD (Mouse Up Show Down) interface currently does not tell itself which folder is actually listed but indicates this information by its position over the tree view right at the listed node. (Which is also the reason why it cannot be higher than the largest vertical distance from that tree node to either of the window borders.) So if we go a level deeper the listed folder might not even be visible in the tree, so how should be know (apart from memorizing it) what folder is listed?

2) How to go up again? Add that Jurassic ".." element to the top of the list?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

No need of going to anywhere. I was thinking about showing everything in one popup, similarly to a branch view.

File1
File2
SUBFOLDER1
File3
File4
SUBFOLDER2
File5