SC focus "P" / Preview [Granted]

Features wanted...
RalphM

Re: SC focus "P" / Preview

Post by RalphM »

If it is such a "can of worms" I'm sure it will boomerang and become your trouble again. :whistle:
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can easily close the lid again. :)

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi, and sorry for the late reply, I had to go offline…

admin wrote: 21 Jul 2023 11:58That's all fine. But I'm still weary. Probably because I don't get the idea. What is this script doing? Why is it moving the focus? Why is it waiting for the user to press ESC?
Script: Slideshow which, behind the scenes, creates a new tab with only images and various optional settings (/flatfiles…), and then proceeds to show them one by one (sel+1) in the chosen preview.

It can then end in 2 ways:
   1. Last image is reached
      ⭢ The script closes the preview, closes its slideshow tab, and restores whatever setting necessary (eg sort order if random…).
   2. User pressed ESC ⭢ either:
      FP: Fullscreen or windowed previews are closed (by XYplorer) ⭢ the script detects that (because focus is no longer "X"), so it properly ends the slideshow by closing its pane, resetting settings, etc.
      PP: Preview is not closed; instead the script is terminated, leaving everything as is.

NB: It wasn’t moving the focus before. I requested the focus "P" for eg slideshow in Windowed preview if the user clicks on different images during the slideshow (focus goes to L), in which case a subsequent ESC still closes the preview but also terminates the script abruptly (leaving the tab open, etc.). Hence, my hope was to have the different previews behave in a more similar way.

—————————

TLDR;
Sorry for the lack of clarity of my request…
But unfortunately it seems the new option doesn’t change much:
In PP, ESC hides the preview image, while still leaving the focus in its pane ("X").

The rephrased request would be (regardless of the preview image/pane visibility):
Could the first ESC in PP behave more like in both FP, and switch the focus back to what was active before (if easily doable), or simply switch to "L" if easier?

Thank you for your patience 8)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Switch focus to "L" seems to make sense anyway. I'll add that.

BTW, is "Close preview with ESC" better English than "Close preview by ESC"?

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

admin wrote: 27 Jul 2023 10:27 Switch focus to "L" seems to make sense anyway. I'll add that.
Thank you! :)

admin wrote: 27 Jul 2023 10:27 BTW, is "Close preview with ESC" better English than "Close preview by ESC"?
In such a short sentence, the latter sounds weird to me.
Personally I’d lean towards "with ESC" (or a rephrase eg "Allow ESC to Close Preview"), but maybe that’s just me / a regionalism…
More voices would be welcome (I’ve read it both ways ;) )

admin
Site Admin

Re: SC focus "P" / Preview [Granted]

Post by admin »

I like "Allow ESC to Close Preview". Seems more appropriate for a toggle setting. (Just one foreigner's opinion.)

jupe

Post by jupe »

I was just testing the newish ESC feature mentioned above, and noticed that if you press ESC the file is removed from the preview pane ok, but then that same file can't be previewed again without first selecting another file, ie. close/reopen the preview or de/re-selecting doesn't work, is this the intended behavior? When using the panel instead, toggling the visibility does cause reload, but de/re-selecting doesn't, and if both previews are visible simultaneously then its the same situation as when only the pane is visible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could not fully reproduce this. Only that close/reopen the preview pane does not re-trigger the preview. This will be fixed in the next beta.