Autosize Columns affects other tabs

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
avivariba

Autosize Columns affects other tabs

Post by avivariba »

When autosizing columns, other tabs are sometimes automatically sizing alongside (regardless of their Folder View Settings being saved or not):
autosize issue.gif
autosize issue.gif (416.55 KiB) Viewed 598 times
For the recording I put it #407; onto a custom button (#372; does it too), but it doesn't matter how Autosize is enabled. And as can be seen, it happens quite inconsistently (sometimes it doesn't affect the other tab, while other times it does).

Also, there is no way to always Autosize (Name) Columns, is there? Preferably, I would always have it autosize and never need to do it manually, but it defaults to being off which then is saved upon saving the Folder View.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Autosize Columns affects other tabs

Post by admin »

It may not tell you anything new, but let me start with this picture:
Attachments
XY-ListStylesScope.png
XY-ListStylesScope.png (76 KiB) Viewed 562 times

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

admin wrote: 01 Jun 2023 09:32 It may not tell you anything new, but let me start with this picture:
Correct, was/is all checked accordingly:
styles.png
styles.png (15.08 KiB) Viewed 543 times
I also just tested it with 'Apply list styles globally' checked but it happens with that as well (Folder View saved and unsaved).

The auto-size does save correctly ('Restore Folder View' resets it correctly), but auto-sizing in other tabs tends to affect it regardless.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You say it happens inconsistently. This is very unlikely in this context (Windows is not involved). There must be a specific sequence that always triggers the issue.

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

After some more testing, it seems to happen after the other tab was auto-sized beforehand (but it doesn't happen always, as can be seen in the recording).

So if you auto-size Tab 1, then auto-size Tab 2, Tab 1 (usually) changes to the same size as Tab 2 alongside. Which easily creates a vicious circle because then after auto-sizing Tab 1 again, now Tab 2 (usually) changes too, etc.

The number of tabs doesn't matter, seems to happen to all which were auto-sized before.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you also show your settings here: Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Columns

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

I ended up with those but I had Autofit the width of the Name column: 0/0 and 1/0 enabled earlier. Didn't make a difference for that:
columns.png
columns.png (17.8 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Edit: I'm dumb, somewhat. I only just figured and discovered that #407; is a toggle, even though it always did seem to initiate the auto-size. So what seems to happen is that when the auto-size is disabled (toggled off), auto-sizing other tabs affects it, even if in a completely different location (not a subdirectory or so). I guess the issue lies somewhere in there.

I now made the button so that it doesn't toggle, so it happens a lot less now (that is, not at all in the test situation), but it is still an issue for all tabs that don't have the Folder View saved (with Auto-size Columns enabled):

Code: Select all

if (get('#407')) {
   #372;
  } else {
   #407;
  }
It's not mentioned in the manual that #407 is supported by get(), but it works fine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I cannot reproduce it here. Let me know if you find reproducible steps. Again, this problem cannot be intermittent because XY is in full control here. If it happens, it will always happen in the same situation.

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

Tested it on a couple of devices in the latest official and beta releases, fresh/default settings. To reproduce it:

Not required but it makes it a lot easier to test and see:

A. Create a custom button with #372; (to make it easier to invoke throughout the testing);

B. Set all three Autosize [..]: input fields under Colors and Styles > Styles > Columns to 0.

Steps:

1. Create or use different directories with different longest file name sizes. (The issue will be more apparent if there are enough files for 2+ columns);

2. Open the directories in tabs next to each other (on one and the same pane, but which pane doesn't matter);

3. Set all tabs to Views > List;

4. Disable/uncheck Tools > Customize List > Autosize Columns in the tabs;

5. Go back-and-forth between the tabs. Press the custom #372; button on each tab (or manually invoke Columns > Autosize Columns Now (#372)). First in tab 1, then tab 2, optionally a 3rd tab, etc. The issue will have appeared during this, otherwise look at the earlier tab(s) again or repeat this step.

Alternative (replacing the steps above)
A. Create a custom button with #407;;
4+5. Go back-and-forth between the tabs. Press the custom #407; button once per tab/switch (or manually toggle Tools > Customize List > Autosize Columns (#407)). First in tab 1, then tab 2, optionally a 3rd tab, etc, then back in tab 1, tab 2, etc, until the issue appears.

You will see that toggling or invoking the Autosize on one tab influences all of that pane's tabs when Tools > Customize List > Autosize Columns is turned off in those, similar to in the recording here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, #372; (I was only looking into #407;, my fault). To keep the column widths per-tab, tick the third box in Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Remember list settings per tab, "Column Layout".

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

admin wrote: 04 Jun 2023 15:33 Ah, #372; (I was only looking into #407;, my fault).
It's either. The difference is that with #372; it happens instantly, whereas #407; is enabling and invokingTools > Customize List > Autosize Columns the first time around, disabling it the second time around.
admin wrote: 04 Jun 2023 15:33 To keep the column widths per-tab, tick the third box in Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Remember list settings per tab, "Column Layout".
configuration.png
configuration.png (13.52 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Column layout checked. Tried with and without List style checked also, that doesn't make a difference for it.

#372:
372.gif
372.gif (338.51 KiB) Viewed 308 times
#407:
407.gif
407.gif (313.64 KiB) Viewed 308 times

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

A custom button for easy testing purposes:

Code: Select all

if (get('View') != 2) {
  view(2);
 }
 if (get('#407')) {
  #407;
 }
 #372;
Open several directories with different longest file name sizes in tabs on the same pane, and press the button in each. It will make the issue appear right away. No need to manually set up the View or Autosize settings prior.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Damn it, you're right! :tup: The view mode is indeed essential here. I see the issue in List, Small Icons, and both Tiles views.

Let's see if I can fix it.

Should be fixed in next beta. :beer:

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

Yay! :party:
Now Column layout actually makes the difference. Awesome!