Start Menu items removed from XYplorer's Favorites menu

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
elqasar2

Start Menu items removed from XYplorer's Favorites menu

Post by elqasar2 »

Today I was baffled I couldn't find the Start Menu entries in XYplorer's Favorites menu, which I've used many times in the past. Searching the forum, I found out that these were recently removed on purpose:

Code: Select all

- Removed the following menu commands because they are pointless in today's Windows:
      - Favorites | Special System Folders | Start Menu
      - Favorites | Special System Folders | Start Menu (All Users)
I must say, these are not pointless as they've been described. I've used them many times to access the Start menu folders for the current user and for all users, in order to add/remove entries in the 'Startup' folder which Windows hides from the actual start menu that is displayed to users. I've also used it to tidy/remove/re-arrange entries in other Start Menu folders, many of which Windows hides on the displayed Start Menu according to undisclosed rules in recent versions of Windows, so that they can be manually put into a location/structure which does appear in a predictable way on the start menu, either for the current user or all users. So it's baffling why these Start Menu entries were deemed to be "pointless" when they have actually been very useful many times over the years. Is XYplorer getting its power user features removed so it can purposefully become more dumbed down?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Start Menu items removed from XYplorer's Favorites menu

Post by admin »

Interesting, but I still think that for most users, the Start menu is an anachronistic holdover from the old Windows days.

No, XY is not dumbed down. :)

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

OK, as a power user I will have to remember to manually type commands such as 'shell:common startup' because my file manager, XYplorer, removed the feature to do that for me.

I wonder who the target market is for XYplorer these days. 99% of mainstream users probably don't care about such things as adding executables to their Startup folder to run automatically when they log in, and have never considered that anything apart from File Explorer is needed in their file management lives. The other 1% who do care about things like that, and wish to have control over things like that (i.e. the people who I thought were the target market for software like XYplorer), find that those features are being taken away because they're deemed "anachronistic". :?

If we're not calling that dumbing down, are we calling that streamlining? Who is it being streamlined for? Who is the target market?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Optimization. I know that removing features can be delicate, therefore I do it very rarely.

But what you are missing now is access to just a simple path. XY offers millions of quick ways to access paths. No big deal I would think.