Hotkey paste not working as expected

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
sl23

Hotkey paste not working as expected

Post by sl23 »

I have a long list of folders and am combining them into groups of folders. So for example, all folders starting with 1, go intoa new parent called '1', same with 2, 3, etc.

I tend to perform this procedure:
1. Select all folders in a group.
2. R-click show properties to see how many files they contain.
3. Press Ctrl+X to Cut those folders.
4. Press Ctrl+N to create a new folder and name it with the group name and quantity.
5. Press the Home key to move list to top to see the new folder.
6. But here is the problem... I L-click the new folder and press Ctrl+V to paste those folders into the highlighted folder, but instead of the desired behaviour, I get an error window popup saying you cannot paste a folder into itself. But I can Paste using a mouse R-click action?!

Is this normal? Is there any reason it doesn't work how I expect it should?

sl23

Re: Hotkey paste not working as expected

Post by sl23 »

Looking at the Hotkey list, I found the option to Move to a New Subfolder = Ctrl+Shift+X, negating the need to perform my convoluted process!
This app keeps amazing me how good it is! :tup: :biggrin:

EDIT: Just wanted to add that although I have found a better way of working, it hasn't solved the original issue.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sl23 wrote: 25 May 2023 18:23 I L-click the new folder and press Ctrl+V to paste those folders into the highlighted folder, but instead of the desired behaviour, I get an error window popup saying you cannot paste a folder into itself. But I can Paste using a mouse R-click action?!

Is this normal?
Yes, this is normal. Ctrl+V does not paste to the selected folder but to the current folder.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thanks for the reply. Strange, I never noticed that before. Seems odd you can't do that, is it some sort of prection against accidentally pasting to the wrong place? Is it possible to change the behaviour? If not, would it be possible to add it please? :oops: :tup:

Norn

Post by Norn »

It would be great to add more CEA, users can customize more things.
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sl23: Consider the fact that you can select more than one folder at once.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ok, I see what you mean!