New File/Folder buttons revert renaming

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
avivariba

New File/Folder buttons revert renaming

Post by avivariba »

When using the New Folder button in the Toolbar, entering any name, and pressing the New Folder button again (to create multiple new folders in a row), the entered name isn't saved and reverts to "New Folder[-XX]".

Edit: changed the title for the issue not just being "Multiple New Folder Naming" but the "New File/Folder buttons reverting renaming" as explained below here.
Last edited by avivariba on 27 Mar 2023 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: Multiple New Folder Naming

Post by highend »

There is no bug. Right click that button, choose "New Files..."
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

avivariba

Re: Multiple New Folder Naming

Post by avivariba »

highend wrote: 27 Mar 2023 00:05 There is no bug. Right click that button, choose "New Files..."
"New Folders...", you mean. But that only works if you know in advance what folders you want to create, besides it being slower in case of just creating a couple.

But it's not about creating just one or multiple folders, it's about apparently any renaming reverting. The same happens if you are renaming an existing file or folder prior to clicking the button. Or when you create a file, enter a name and then click the New Folder button. Poof, gone is whatever name you entered.

I would think whatever one has entered shouldn't simply disappear and revert. Otherwise, why else would someone have entered it?

The issue is that the New Folder and New File buttons don't submit any active renaming prior to creating a new file/folder.

RalphM

Re: New File/Folder buttons revert renaming

Post by RalphM »

It doesn't commit the new name because it doesn't know you are finished.
It is only logical that you press <Enter> once you're done.

I would find it rather confusing, if clicking on a button would commit whatever you entered.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

RalphM wrote: 27 Mar 2023 05:50 It doesn't commit the new name because it doesn't know you are finished.
It is only logical that you press <Enter> once you're done.

I would find it rather confusing, if clicking on a button would commit whatever you entered.
Explorer submits it, and some other Toolbar buttons do submit it as well (e.g. Show Hidden Files, Checkbox Selection, Find Files, etc).

If you have entered something, it should submit it as long as your didn't clear the field, press Escape, or possibly refreshed. Otherwise one's work gets lost. No one enters something for it not to submit. One types something, stops typing, takes another action clicking a button, obviously they were done typing.

Someone might not even realize they have the renaming still active (which is what happened to me, it reverting with me thinking it was me or just a one-off, until I created a bunch of folders and typed away realizing all of the names reverted on the spot).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are right, Explorer submits it, and some XY toolbar buttons, some don't. So I agree, XY should indeed submit the change in all those cases.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I interpret your silence as a sign of happiness.