A few wishes (but otherwise an excellent program)

Features wanted...
Zigo

Re: A few wishes (but otherwise an excellent program)

Post by Zigo »

admin wrote:
Zigo wrote: All I am after is, when you right click, you get [back list] + [current location] + [forward list]
That's what I meant by
You mean it should only show the bold entries, right? (which then would not have to be bold, of course).
some posts ago. You said "No..." to this, but I guess at that point you had not read the help file yet. :P
I see your point, but when I right click now (just using a single tab) I only ever have one item listed, which is the most 'forward' location. It is in bold, yes, but the rest of the history is missing

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Zigo wrote:Just browsing the .ini file for tweaks ;) What does FolderThumbsShell do? I ask because if I go into a folder which contains a lot of installation programs (where I keep every app I've downloaded), it becomes very slow as it tries to get each icon, and I wondered if it could be speeded up.
It's related to how the folder icon is handled, I believe...see http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 078#p41078

For your issue, I'd look at your Icon settings in Config>Advanced, like "Cache specific" and "Use generic"...I have the first one on, and second off and I don't that much of a delay, at least it doesn't bother me.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:Just browsing the .ini file for tweaks ;) What does FolderThumbsShell do?
The ultimate resource for such questions is the change log (but difficult to read because newer entries might make older ones obsolete).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:7. In the help for "History without duplicates", it says:
When your current history position is somewhere in the past and you then jump to a new location the "previous future" is not discarded but shifted down one position.
This sounds like what I'm after, but it doesn't seem to work (I may be looking in the wrong place).
The Help is outdated here. :oops: Will fix...

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

admin wrote:
When your current history position is somewhere in the past and you then jump to a new location the "previous future" is not discarded but shifted down one position.
This sounds like what I'm after, but it doesn't seem to work (I may be looking in the wrong place).
So the functionality DID exist at some point?! :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:
admin wrote:
So the functionality DID exist at some point?! :lol:
Kind of... at that point I had history and MRU in one set of data. But it did not really work well. I finally had to separate history and MRU because they are different concepts. MRU gets never pruned, but history's back/forward design needs pruning.
The only good solution I see (and you already described) would be backing up the history and restore it on Undo Navigation from the backup. Frankly, this is not one of my plans for the near future.

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

Ok that's fair enough - it's not something that happens a lot anyway :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jibz wrote:
admin wrote:3. No. :)
Could there be? :wink:
admin wrote:6. No, I'd like to but never found out how. Workaround: Drag via taskbar to foreground the other app.
I am guessing something along the lines of handling WM_MOUSEACTIVATE by returning MA_NOACTIVATE, but I haven't tried it.

DO has this feature as well (being able to drag from it without it coming to the front).
3. Big complication for little (and confusing) effect. Who needs this?

Thanks, I'll check that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Thanks, I'll check that.
Nope, failed.

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

Zigo wrote:
admin wrote:
Zigo wrote: All I am after is, when you right click, you get [back list] + [current location] + [forward list]
That's what I meant by
You mean it should only show the bold entries, right? (which then would not have to be bold, of course).
some posts ago. You said "No..." to this, but I guess at that point you had not read the help file yet. :P
I see your point, but when I right click now (just using a single tab) I only ever have one item listed, which is the most 'forward' location. It is in bold, yes, but the rest of the history is missing
After upgrading to 9.50.0100 this now works as per my wish, thanks! :D

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

Sorry to resurrect an 'old' thread, but just wanted to go over this one again because I know I didn't explain it very well:
admin wrote:
Zigo wrote:
admin wrote:
Zigo wrote:5. I've never liked Explorer's "different view per folder" setting. I like everything to be consistent - that includes the sort order. However, it's possible to have different sort orders for each location (navigating forward to new locations keeps the same order, but going back to previous locations will restore the sort order from that location). Is there a way to set an option like "always use current sort order for every location", which is what happens in XP Explorer?
A thought about it and started to like the idea. So I added a tweak (next beta version):
RetainListSettingsAcrossTabs

(How to tweak: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3543)

If it's good I will elevate the setting to UI level.
Although that may be useful for some, that isn't what I was getting at.

I'm talking about something like RetainListSettingsOnNavigation, or even RetainListSettingsAlways :) (i.e. I only ever want the sort order to change from what it is now when I specifically change the sort order, not because a different location overrides the setting)
Wait and try the next beta version... to me it looks like what you want.
I'll reword the original request: when I choose a sort order, I'd like all subsequent navigations (whether back/forward to locations already visited, or new locations) to keep the sort order that I've just chosen.

An example of what I mean (in current behaviour):

1. I start at C:\abc\111 with a sort by name.
2. I navigate to C:\abc\222 and the sort is still by name (inherited from step 1).
3. I now change the sort order to be by type.
4. I navigate back to C:\abc\111 and it is still sorted by name (not inherited because it is in the location history).

I would like an option so that C:\abc\111 is then sorted by type, as I'd chosen in step 3.

Note that XYplorer is doing the same as Windows Explorer (Vista and 7 versions), but Explorer XP version does the same as in this request.

Sometimes I'm comparing the contents of a lot of folders (e.g. 5+) where it maybe isn't practical to have them all opened in different tabs/panes, and I quickly scan back/forward to see if anything in one of the folders "stands out". I may not notice any differences if the files are sorted by name, for example, so then I choose to compare the folders sorted by size, for example. It is annoying if I have to re-sort every location so that I can do the comparisons.

I understand that the current behaviour is useful and many people like it (I do as well sometimes!), which is why an option to toggle behaviour would be nice :)

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

As for the rest of my wishes:
Zigo wrote: 1. Fixed :D

2. Fixed :D

3. Not fixed but I appreciate this may be difficult, and isn't really that important anyway.

4. Fixed :D

5. Explained above.

6. As #3
So overall I'm very happy, thank you! :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

6. Fixed. :beer:

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

Wow, 13 years later, well remembered to come back to this post! :lol: :appl:
I still love how awesome XYplorer is 8)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ha, cool that you saw it! :beer: