Off Topic: Folder Icons

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
TMProjection

Off Topic: Folder Icons

Post by TMProjection »

Hey guys, I do hope its ok to post this question here, specifically posting here as its one of the best power user forums I have been on to be honest

Regarding Windows and Folder Icons
I make some .ico folder icons, and apply them by going into a folder properties > customize > folder icons, and navigating to the icon there
This in turn creates a

desktop.ini
with the contents of the .ini file being:
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=F:\Shoot\Finished\cover.ico,0

I then reword this .ini file to:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=cover.ico,0
[ViewState]
Mode=
Vid=
FolderType=Pictures

incase i decide to move the root folder, the path isnt absolute
i assumed the .ini file was all that the folder contains about the information for the .ico, however if im on a network and try to apply that .ico
the "folder icons" option isnt even there, and simply pasting the .ini file into that folder doesnt work

So my question is, where or what are the other variables in a folder for a .ico icon to apply? because i surely dont see any hidden files or anything like that

jupe

Re: Off Topic: Folder Icons

Post by jupe »

The desktop.ini needs to be +SH attrib, and probably +R for the folder that it is in, check that first. Is it a Samba share though? those can have issues with attributes, but there are workarounds.

TMProjection

Post by TMProjection »

thanks a bunch for your response, really appreciate it

i actually never heard of those things, do you perhaps have a short simple article i could read about that?

or maybe you could explain it?

where would i see those attributes? as once i manually apply the .ico as the folders ico, i replace the .ini file with my one to make sure its non absolute

jupe

Post by jupe »

If you have kept default keyboard shortcuts in XY, just press Ctrl+1 to see the below panel, else access it with F12. +SH is as indicated, +R is Read-only for the folder, if you change the checkboxes make sure you apply that change by pressing the green tick button that appears.

2023-03-20_153116.png
2023-03-20_153116.png (17.81 KiB) Viewed 259 times

TMProjection

Post by TMProjection »

oh wow, i wouldnt have guessed that the folder needs to be in "read only" mode, how strange, surely you would think this way that the contents would now be read only, but no

done example what i wanted, thank you so much

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure: This is not my idea, but another instance of Microsoft creatively abusing file attributes for new purposes.