some wishes

Features wanted...
kebrus

some wishes

Post by kebrus »

there are some things that prevent me for completely replace windows explorer, so i decided to share my opinion

first of all let me explain how my pc is organized, I have everything organized in my pc by type, music in one folder, films in another one, anime in another, random images in another one, photoshop images in another one, game files in another one, etc... then inside of each folder i have everything organized in different ways, in example, in my music folder i have a folder for every artist, alphabetically ordered, and a inside it a folder for every album, date modified ordered, on the other hand my random images folder doesn't have any folders inside and the images are date modified ordered.. etc

1: Folder Thumbnails
Well, it's pretty obvious what it does, lets you put thumbnails on top of folder icon or completely replace it for an image.
Since i have such a huge collection of different things i normally use the thumbnail view to browse, but in xy it's a pain in the @ss to browse when all i see is yellow folders, what would be even cooler is adding the same preview feature like in the images, something like "shift+hold left click" and the image used for the thumbnail is previewed

2: Individual Folder Settings
Lets you save some folder settings like view and sort individually on folder of choice.
I honestly don't know why this isn't in xy already, having to sort every time i change folder it's simply not productive, only time consuming...

3: Large Folder Icons
Another option in the view list where the icons are actually big, like 48x48 or even higher.
xy only shows "bigger" icons in the thumbnails view but those are at 32x32, having at least the option to show them at 48x48 or more would rock

4: Larger UI Icons
An option to be able to increase the size of the icons in the interface.
Well, i guess it's pretty obvious, it's more practical and intuitive, it's not critical though, i would live without this

admin
Site Admin

Re: some wishes

Post by admin »

Yeah. I see.

I would like to suggest you pick the wish that's most important to you and put it into a separate thread. That way we can get a tight and clear discussion, which will raise the chances that I can consider it for adding.

Thanks,
Don

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

For "Folder specific settings" check out this thread: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=2066

kebrus

Post by kebrus »

thx for replying, i'll do it

Pagat, i checked the thread, yeah thats what i meant

i don't know how exactly the features get selected, but it looks like they come if a lot of people care about them, so it looks like this one wont come to xy since the last post is from January and it doesn't seem to be a lot of people bothering about it... actually maybe i rushed a lit bit giving my opinion since i don't think anyone will care about thumbnails in folders, which would be my "most important wish"

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

kebrus wrote:i don't know how exactly the features get selected, but it looks like they come if a lot of people care about them, so it looks like this one wont come to xy since the last post is from January and it doesn't seem to be a lot of people bothering about it...
It's my understanding (having seen XY develop over 2+ yrs) that sometimes little features that can be done quickly and easily tend to get handled first...the shortest time from a small wish to beta vers that I can recall is less than one day, but that's atypical...other more major features can take some time, naturally...and yes, the more that different people request the same basic feature, the more attention it gets also.

So I'd not at all be discouraged by seeing no activity on the other thread for a while...especially since, if one looks at "Roadmap" thread, (http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=830), notice that FSS (Folder Specific Settings) appears to be next in line...it's not guaranteed that those items are done in that order, but...could be!
kebrus wrote:actually maybe i rushed a lit bit giving my opinion since i don't think anyone will care about thumbnails in folders, which would be my "most important wish"
As discussed above, those features that have widest appeal tend to be the ones acted on soonest...and features which can be done in some way, even awkwardly, by other independent products tend to get bypassed in some cases.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by admin »

kebrus wrote:... thumbnails in folders, which would be my "most important wish"
... well, it's here now!