Miscellaneous - Questions

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
MaxEnrik

Re: Miscellaneous - Questions

Post by MaxEnrik »

There seems to be no chance of correcting them.

Is it possible to make them grouped by date created as Windows offers?
Group by > Date Created

(and then sorting by type/extension)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

?

Read my last post again...

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Impossible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you okay?

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Unfortunately, my limited English makes me don't understand the post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Secondary sorting (like you do with Ext) is only possible if the primary sorting creates groups of identical items (what I called "blocks"). But your primary sorting by Created does not create any blocks since all the created dates are different.

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

admin wrote: 17 Feb 2023 17:07 Secondary sorting (like you do with Ext) is only possible if the primary sorting creates groups of identical items (what I called "blocks"). But your primary sorting by Created does not create any blocks since all the created dates are different.
Isn't the date blocked? If I understand the picture correctly he's sorting by date first and extension second.
Since all dates (not times) are equal (all files are same date) XY is sorting the files by extension second...
That's why the files are displayed mp4 first and vtt second. The times are not ordered since they are considered equal...

If I'm not stupid, he wants the times ordered as well... So, I think he should order by extension first and date second.
That way he would get mp4 first followed by vtt's, each sorted by creation date (and time)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I guess you're right.

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Thank you for the clarification.

Before I posted about the issue, I had experimented with what you said in the last posts.
And I just tried sorting primary .ext and the secondary date and vice versa - still the same.

When I only sorted with the date, all were correct.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I see now what you mean. With SortSecondaryByExactDate=0 the time part of the date is totally ignored. Therefore Created column gets scrambled when secondary-sorting by Ext. Not nice, I agree. Not easy to fix though. I'll look into it.

... okay, I think I could handle it by employing BubbleSort instead of QuickSort for the secondary sorting. No time for it now, but some day...

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Thank you for your understanding.

Have a nice one!

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

admin wrote: 17 Feb 2023 19:12 OK, I see now what you mean. With SortSecondaryByExactDate=0 the time part of the date is totally ignored. Therefore Created column gets scrambled when secondary-sorting by Ext. Not nice, I agree. Not easy to fix though. I'll look into it.

... okay, I think I could handle it by employing BubbleSort instead of QuickSort for the secondary sorting. No time for it now, but some day...
Well... Isn't it supposed to be that way with SortSecondaryByExactDate=0? Shouldn't SortSecondaryByExactDate=1 fix that?
I mean:
If I sort Primary: Extension and Secondary: Creation Date (Exact), wouldn't that yield a correctly sorted filelist?
Based on the files below:
mp4 first (sorted by file date)
vtt second (sorted by file date)
?

At least that's what I would expect... Isn't that the result expected?

Then again: I don't actually understand, why the time is truncated on secondary sorting... It would make much more sense to me to omit the time on primary sorting (though only if you DO have a secondary sorting... Uhhh... Or is that the meaning of that tweak? I'm a little confused now...)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, SortSecondaryByExactDate=1 would fix it, but then you get almost no secondary sorting because the primary groups are so small (only files with exactly the same timestamp).

With SortSecondaryByExactDate=0 you get primary groups for each day (time is ignored). And then 1. Created / 2. Ext yields a different picture from 1. Ext / 2. Created.
Created.png
Created.png (13.92 KiB) Viewed 250 times
CreatedExt.png
CreatedExt.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 250 times
ExtCreated2.png
ExtCreated2.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 241 times
PS: These screenshots are from the fixed version I have here (using BubbleSort).

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

The 2nd one is what I am looking for.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, the new beta is there. Try it.