storage device labels throughout the UI

Features wanted...
CompSystems

storage device labels throughout the UI

Post by CompSystems »

Hello

original text in Spanish (robotic translation)

Does XYplorer have an option to show hard drive labels not only in the file tree but in the whole interface?
If this is not the case, it would be a very good idea to incorporate it since, for example, it would identify what disk it is, since by alphabetical enumeration it does not say much when we manage various data in external memories.

admin
Site Admin

Re: storage device labels throughout the UI

Post by admin »

You can have them in the breadcrumb bars.

CompSystems

Post by CompSystems »

In Find Files of Location it is also important to show the name of the labels

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Where exactly do you mean?

CompSystems

Post by CompSystems »

On the tabs and LOCATION part, it would be easier to see which hard drive you are referring to if the label name is included.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Find Files Location is normally synced with the tree. I don't see much use for a drive label there.

In the tab headers, maybe. But it takes a lot of space (it would be there on *each* tab!). Would anybody here trade his space for drive labels?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Well you can already add drive labels to custom tab captions, but they only show in subfolders not drive root.

highend

Post by highend »

How about supporting simple variable getting via <get drivename> in captions (of e.g. buttons)?

Then you could have a toolbar button set with all drives and their drive label name as the caption.
A "quick look up" by just hitting a keyboard shortcut to show that toolbar button set...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jupe wrote: 07 Feb 2023 08:19 Well you can already add drive labels to custom tab captions, but they only show in subfolders not drive root.
Looks like a bug to me. Will fix.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote: 07 Feb 2023 08:56 How about supporting simple variable getting via <get drivename> in captions (of e.g. buttons)?

Then you could have a toolbar button set with all drives and their drive label name as the caption.
A "quick look up" by just hitting a keyboard shortcut to show that toolbar button set...
Might use <volumelabel> as well. Maybe later.

CompSystems

Post by CompSystems »

admin wrote: 07 Feb 2023 08:08 In the tab headers, maybe. But it takes a lot of space (it would be there on *each* tab!). Would anybody here trade his space for drive labels?
I handle many external disks and it would be easier for me to identify them in the tabs with labels even if they occupy more horizontal characters, of course this characteristic would not be by default but rather configurable.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Use this in Configuration | Tabs and Panes | Tabs | Tab captions -> Custom / Custom...:

<volumelabel>: <folder>

CompSystems

Post by CompSystems »

It works great, but when I install XYplorer on another PC, I think I won't remember this Script =(

Code: Select all

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Why do you install XYplorer anyways? I'm using the NoInstall-Packages since XY 10 or something and "unpack" XY onto an USB-Stick, which I carry around whenever I have the slightest chance of having to do something on a computer or laptop... All my (portable) tools are on that stick as well, of course. So... I'm carrying most of my PC Tools with me most of the time... And, of course, XY is always perfectly configured...
CompSystems wrote: 07 Feb 2023 20:43 It works great, but when I install XYplorer on another PC, I think I won't remember this Script =(

Code: Select all

Well... There isn't much to remember anyways... As long as you remember where to configure it. Once you open the edit-window all the options (i.e. <volumelabel>) are documented...