Problem with Paper Folders

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
elbitjusticiero

Problem with Paper Folders

Post by elbitjusticiero »

Hi all! I've decided to give Paper Folders a try, because they sound like the perfect solution for my workflow. Only... they don't seem to behave as I expected.

The idea is that I need to process some image files and documents and move them around. I have a base folder with lots of image files and two subfolders inside it for the processed images. I also have a folder with documents I create and move every day, which is (logically) not located in the same base folder.

I created a paper folder with shortcuts to these folders (one of the subfolders with images, and the folder with documents), set the filter to show only files, set the folder view to small tiles, and I got a wonderful view of my work in progress.

The problem is... it's a static list! Creating new images and documents doesn't update the paper folder!

I was under the impression that adding a shortcut to a folder meant just that -- a shortcut to the folder, not to the current contents of that folder. But it seems that it's not the case. At least, from what I understood from googling around.

Is there a way to make my paper folder to dynamically reflect the contents of the chosen folders? Or any other method I could use to achieve what I'm trying to do?

highend

Re: Problem with Paper Folders

Post by highend »

Paperfolders contents are stored in .txt files so they are not dynamic... Try to use the new virtual folders feature?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

elbitjusticiero

Post by elbitjusticiero »

I mean, the text file at first includes just the names of the folders... the fact that it's a text file doesn't mean the paper folder NEEDS to be static. It's just a file format. But thanks for confirming the static nature of paper folders.

I find the virtual folders feature very confusing. Is there some kind of tutorial?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

elbitjusticiero wrote: 02 Feb 2023 15:23 I mean, the text file at first includes just the names of the folders... the fact that it's a text file doesn't mean the paper folder NEEDS to be static. It's just a file format. But thanks for confirming the static nature of paper folders.

I find the virtual folders feature very confusing. Is there some kind of tutorial?
Write this into the address bar using your paths: vi:C:\Images\Subfolder1\* /f|C:\Documents\* /f //"Work in progress"