Thoughts about buying the one-year free upgrade license, versus the lifetime free upgrade license.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
prr

Thoughts about buying the one-year free upgrade license, versus the lifetime free upgrade license.

Post by prr »

I bought a new laptop (Windows 11) several months ago and I’ve finally decided to give up on Windows Explorer. Actually I decided to do that a while ago, but this fall has been very busy. My issue isn’t with paying $35 for one year of free upgrades—XYplorer is well worth the cost. I’m simply trying to decide which license to buy.

Have any of you purchased the one year upgrade, and regretted it and then upgraded to the lifetime upgrade? Or purchased the one-year license, and found that simply using that same version has suited you for the next 5-10 years?

Thoughts, anyone?

RalphM

Re: Thoughts about buying the one-year free upgrade license, versus the lifetime free upgrade license.

Post by RalphM »

In short: Go lifetime!

Unless you can really see yourself being happy for several years while XY keeps evolving and adding new features all the time.
I guess there would always be that one feature that would have made the difference in price well worth it.
Over time there have been several users who regretted to have gone with the standard instead of the lifetime license but on the other hand I guess we don't see too many users on the forum who have accepted their fate and just keep using their outdated version of XY.

Just my 2 cents.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

bossi

Re: Thoughts about buying the one-year free upgrade license, versus the lifetime free upgrade license.

Post by bossi »

just plan few years ahead and get Lifetime ,
for 70$ you save 1000s hours of work and maybe even your sanity ;)
+ those guys help with scripts !

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Yeah, I already posted about how I was happy to get my lifetime license back with XYplorer 15 or something like that. The only reason to buy a standard license I can think of is to extend your trial time and hope for the occasional happening lifetime-discount Don sometimes offers... But... That only makes sense if there's a real chance you will void XYplorer before getting the lifetime license... Unlikely...

I never regretted investing the money in my lifetime license.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Go Lifetime. Unlike many other Devs, who then create newer licenses with added features for upselling, Don has auto upgraded the lifetime license (if it was the highest then, it continues to remain the highest) as we saw when the former lifetime licenses were promoted to Lifetime Enterprise. I really appreciate Don for the commitment to his statement.

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

nerdweed wrote: 29 Jan 2023 05:31 Go Lifetime. Unlike many other Devs, who then create newer licenses with added features for upselling, Don has auto upgraded the lifetime license (if it was the highest then, it continues to remain the highest) as we saw when the former lifetime licenses were promoted to Lifetime Enterprise. I really appreciate Don for the commitment to his statement.
Yeah, I can't repeat it often enough: I've never invested 70 € in a product that awesome. I bought the Lifetime License Pro after I tested XYplorer 12 or something for a few days and did not feel bad for that decision in the last 12 years. Again: Was my best investment of 70 € in my life so far. Thanks, Don!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! :D :beer:

FYI, I checked my stats and about 56% of all users who bought either Lifetime or Standard bought Lifetime. So Lifetime is the most popular choice.

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

admin wrote: 29 Jan 2023 17:06 Thanks! :D :beer:

FYI, I checked my stats and about 56% of all users who bought either Lifetime or Standard bought Lifetime. So Lifetime is the most popular choice.
Huh... Would be much more interesting to know how many active Standard Licenses are still existing... well... compared to active Lifetime Licenses. Or... How many of those Standard Licenses you mentioned did (or did not) convert to Lifetime...

On second thought... It's more interesting to know how many of those 44% Standard Licenses did (or did not) convert to Lifetime later on...

prr

Post by prr »

I agree, it would (if this wouldn't take too long) be interesting to see how many of those who originally bought a year license, bought the lifetime.
Garonne wrote: 29 Jan 2023 18:26
admin wrote: 29 Jan 2023 17:06 Thanks! :D :beer:

Huh... Would be much more interesting to know how many active Standard Licenses are still existing... well... compared to active Lifetime Licenses. Or... How many of those Standard Licenses you mentioned did (or did not) convert to Lifetime...

On second thought... It's more interesting to know how many of those 44% Standard Licenses did (or did not) convert to Lifetime later on...

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

+1 for lifetime and as of 1/29/23 it is cheaper than 1 dozen of eggs :biggrin:

matewo

Post by matewo »

If I counted correctly, Don released over 150 "new releases" and 220 "maintenance releases" in the last 13 years (2010 to 2022).

To break it down on an average, these are 11 "new releases" and 17 "maintenance releases" PER YEAR!!

Each time a new version is released, I personally just feel like it's birthday or Christmas and I would get gifts.

All of this for just twice the price of a standard license. And yes, $70 are still much money...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Garonne wrote: 29 Jan 2023 18:26 On second thought... It's more interesting to know how many of those 44% Standard Licenses did (or did not) convert to Lifetime later on...
Yes, that would be interesting, but it's hard to say. Upgrade licenses only exist for 10 years, and I know that many users don't go the upgrade path but buy a fresh license without the discount. So I would have to compare the usernames of the customers (and I only have the usernames, I don't collect any other information) to find out if someone bought again. I have no time to write a routine for that. But roughly guessing I'd say about 50% of all Standard buyers later buy again, either another Standard or Lifetime (and that choice again is about fifty/fifty).

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

admin wrote: 31 Jan 2023 08:23
Garonne wrote: 29 Jan 2023 18:26 On second thought... It's more interesting to know how many of those 44% Standard Licenses did (or did not) convert to Lifetime later on...
Yes, that would be interesting, but it's hard to say. Upgrade licenses only exist for 10 years, and I know that many users don't go the upgrade path but buy a fresh license without the discount. So I would have to compare the usernames of the customers (and I only have the usernames, I don't collect any other information) to find out if someone bought again. I have no time to write a routine for that. But roughly guessing I'd say about 50% of all Standard buyers later buy again, either another Standard or Lifetime (and that choice again is about fifty/fifty).
Too bad you don't have any more precise information... though... less data collection is always a plus...

Anyways... There's a 'bout 50% chance each "update" you do, you realize you're better off buying a Lifetime License.

Oh, and, Don, thanks again, for being so damn nice about the Lifetime Licenses (including the recent upgrade to the new Enterprise Level)... As someone mentioned before: A lot of developers tend to go the route of starting with Lifetime Plus and Lifetime Plus Plus Licenses, only to squeeze some more money out of their users.