Tags on NAS files from multiple computers

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jimmazing1

Tags on NAS files from multiple computers

Post by jimmazing1 »

I do a lot of video editing and the XYPlorer Tags have been an organizational life saver for me, but I'd like clarification on if/how I could make it work with files stored on my NAS and accessed by multiple computers (all mine).

I keep all the video files on the NAS. Sometimes I'll review them on my desktop and add Tags, but sometimes, I like to review the files from my laptop while hanging out with my family. Is there a way for the Tags to be seen no matter which computer I use to review and Tag them with?

Hopefully I explained the use case adequately enough, but if not, let me know and I'll try again.

I did read through the help pages, but I couldn't figure out how to make this work.

highend

Re: Tags on NAS files from multiple computers

Post by highend »

And you did read the "Multi-User Tagging" (+Admin Settings) parts of the manual?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jimmazing1

Post by jimmazing1 »

highend wrote: 29 Jan 2023 00:33 And you did read the "Multi-User Tagging" (+Admin Settings) parts of the manual?
I did. I think where I'm getting sideways is the drive with the videos is mapped differently on Desktop vs. Laptop.

On the desktop it's something like D:\Videos.
On the laptop it's \\NAS\Videos

I tried changing the "Storage" option in the Configuration>Tags menu to Volume Serials, but that didn't work.

highend

Post by highend »

https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=MUT

Look at the [UniversalLocalMapping] part of it

jimmazing1

Post by jimmazing1 »

highend wrote: 29 Jan 2023 01:34 https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=MUT

Look at the [UniversalLocalMapping] part of it
I could use some help with that part of it then. In the FAQ, it shows:
[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=2
ULM1=\\VEGA\Share1>X:
ULM2=\\VEGA\Share2>Y:\Docs

Is that an example of the mapping to the tags.dat or the files that I'm actually tagging? I was assuming it was mapping to the files I'm tagging, but perhaps I was wrong.

Also, I don't have an Admin.ini file with the XYPlorer.exe. Should I create one and does it need to be in that directory all computers where I want MUT to work?

highend

Post by highend »

No, [UniversalLocalMapping] has nothing to do with mappings to the tags.dat

You need to create an Admin.ini file in the installation folder of every XYplorer instance that wants to use MUT.

It needs to be different on your desktop / notebook!

Let's assume your server has the name: saturn
The share name on saturn is: int_backup
The video folder is: \\saturn\int_backup\videos

First create a folder where the shared tags file will be stored: \\saturn\int_backup\XYplorer\DB

Admin.ini on desktop:

Code: Select all

[Paths]
FileTagDat=\\saturn\int_backup\XYplorer\DB\SharedTags.dat

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\saturn\int_backup\videos>D:\Videos
The notebook does not need the [UniversalLocalMapping] section, it does operate on the videos share directly so the only part of the Admin.ini for it is this:

[Paths]

jimmazing1

Post by jimmazing1 »

highend wrote: 29 Jan 2023 08:58 No, [UniversalLocalMapping] has nothing to do with mappings to the tags.dat

You need to create an Admin.ini file in the installation folder of every XYplorer instance that wants to use MUT.

It needs to be different on your desktop / notebook!

Let's assume your server has the name: saturn
The share name on saturn is: int_backup
The video folder is: \\saturn\int_backup\videos

First create a folder where the shared tags file will be stored: \\saturn\int_backup\XYplorer\DB

Admin.ini on desktop:

[Paths]

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\saturn\int_backup\videos>D:\Videos
The notebook does not need the [UniversalLocalMapping] section, it does operate on the videos share directly so the only part of the Admin.ini for it is this:

[Paths]
Thanks so much for walking me through that part. That should help me get it set up so it's fully working.

I realized a bit ago that part of my problem was that in XYPlorer, I had navigated to the videos on the Desktop by going to the mapped drive (D:\), and on the laptop, I'd navigated to them through the network (\\NAS\Videos). So when adding tags, XYPlorer uses the path that's in the tab. Once I navigated to both of them with the same path, the MUT worked excellently.

I appreciate the help and patience.