replace date created with date taken

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
GUIguy

replace date created with date taken

Post by GUIguy »

I just switched from Android to iPhone because if iPhone's excellent/superior accessibility features. Unfortunately, Apple does not users knowing anything about files or the underpinnings of their devices.

I downloaded a bunch of photos from iCloud that were on my phone (cant just take them directly from the phone as far as can tell), but the date created came in as the date the images were placed on my pc. However, the "date taken" in EXIF is correct.

I'd like to create a script to read the EXIF "date taken" and place it in the "date created" field for the image file. The script reference indicated "WhenTaken" as the property, but I can't seem to come up with the script.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance...
GUIguy
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind

Quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything!

jupe

Re: replace date created with date taken

Post by jupe »

File | File Special | Set Created Date to Exif

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Or use a CFA entry as follows:

Code: Select all

|"Timestamp MC with EXIF-Date"\;*.jpg>::timestamp "mc", '<dateexif>'
which sets both Modified and Created dates to exif date (can be changed with the "mc" parameters).
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Horst

Post by Horst »

A little bit out of topic and I don't want to start a discussion about the better phone OS :)
You said:
"I just switched from Android to iPhone because if iPhone's excellent/superior accessibility features"
Using both I just see that Android allows me to do anything I want with my data where Apple blocks it.
So what are this superior features Apple gives you compared to Android ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

GUIguy

Post by GUIguy »

@Horst...

Believe me, the only thing that Apple does better than Android is accessibility (hands free, hearing aids, voice control, etc. for those of us with disabilities). However, I mostly appreciate Apple's control over everything: everything is integrated, everything works with every other thing because of the strict controls.

That said, I HATE the fact that I have no control over files and the file system. I like to massage the file system, rename files at will (especially photos) and want to choose when I use the cloud, which is mostly NEVER. And the amount of true innovation is stifled because developers are not allowed to operate outside of Apple's tightly constrained boundaries.

So, I guess I have a love/hate relationship with iOS. But I also have a love/hate relationship with Android. Hell, I have a love/hate relationship with most of technology!

Saying things like this makes me feel like a hockey ref who drops the puck and gets out of the way so that the players can beat each other up fighting for the puck. It's not my intention to start another round of OS wars. Just IMHO... :whistle:
GUIguy

GUIguy

Post by GUIguy »

BTW, thanks all for showing me the built-in function for copying the EXIF date to the creation date. :oops:

I doubt I'll ever have the time/bandwidth to master what Don has put into this phenomenal program, so I appreciate the kindness shown to me when people point out to me what could have been obvious...

Thanks again...
GUIguy