Main@200: Error 481 - Invalid picture

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Main@200: Error 481 - Invalid picture

Post by admin »

You get this error in a fresh instance when you do Help | Online Support | Check for Updates???

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

no, i do not get the error message in either normal or fresh when using (Help | Online Support | Check for Updates). as i mentioned before, the update check works, downloads, installs and restarts XY. after that, when i manually close XY and re-launch it, then the error may happen. i can leave it open for hours, restart and it's fine. other times i get the flash and error log with this message in it. no crashdump, nothing in event viewer, nothing anywhere else on both systems that would point to any error.

today on my secondary PC, it was a fresh boot-up of the machine (same as every morning) and XY would not start. last night before shut down it was updated to the latest daily beta using (Help | Online Support | Check for Updates + CTRL). run for about an hour, then safely shut down the machine.

this has not happened on my primary PC today and i have been closing and restarting XY to see if i can trigger it somehow. both machines are configured near-identical. no preview mode, no thumbnails, both panes in detail view with no custom columns (only tags and labels added). tags are local per machine, nothing on a shared network drive. i have no idea where this "picture" thing is. even my toolbar only uses built-in icons. hamburger is also generic, nothing super-customized in it, just # commands with captions.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't see anything that I can do beyond what I have already tried. Good luck.

GreetingsFromPoland

thank you for your help. i am continuing to use XY as it has opened without issue today. so far, i have been able to update to the latest beta (i really am looking forward to VFO possibilities) by doing the help / online support / check for updates (holding CTRL) method. since i think we have both exhausted all our troubleshootings, i won't continue posting on this (unless there is a major breakthrough that i discover!).

i do have backups an alternatives in place and that is common for all of "must haves". for example, bitwarden is my main password manager and keepassxc is my synchronized backup, etc. this way i can continue to do what i need in the event of a sudden need to switch.

thank you again for your time and help.

GreetingsFromPoland

update got the dreaded Main@200: Error 481 - Invalid picture message today on my secondary PC again. same as before, fresh system boot, start XY, nothing displayed and only a text file generated with the error message contained within (xyerrorlog-2023-09-12_08-57-57.txt).

the only fix that i have found is to do a full re-install of XY over top of itself and then XY starts again. i download the latest official release, accept any message about "downgrading" the configuration, then update to the latest beta.

the only "thing" that i can imagine is one of the starting panes is folder that contains ~30 or PDFs. i use a generic PDF ico file and a Custom File Icon...

Code: Select all

*.pdf>pdf.ico
. that would be the only "picture"-y item and not even sure if that matters.

edit just a thought. i would have to check back on the dates of this post and a mention in another and see if the match-up around the time that the splash screen was introduced. wouldn't that be the one of the first pictures displayed during load ? if so, and it crashed on that for some reason, could explain why the application doesn't get very far.

if this happens again, i will manually edit the configuration file to disable the splash screen and see if that helps/makes a difference.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, let me fetch my popcorn... :)