OpenHashTab context menu dialog not displaying

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
GreetingsFromPoland

OpenHashTab context menu dialog not displaying

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

hi! i'm having a problem using OpenHashTab (https://github.com/namazso/OpenHashTab) in XY. i don't have this problem when testing with Explorer, DO, TC, etc.

in explorer (or other file managers), right-click a file, select Hashes, the dialog is displayed with all the hash options, etc.
in xy, right-click a file, show 64-bit context menu, select Hashes, the dialog flashes and goes away.

if i enable Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | [x] Show the 64-bit context menu, i get the same results - dialog flash and then goes away.
are there any other settings in xy i should try ? i could open a ticket on their github page and list xy as the software i am using.

if this software is problematic, does anyone has any other recommendations for file hash comparisons via context menu ?

update i am testing out HashTools from BinaryFortress and this works with XY via context menu. i am also testing Quickhash-GUI (64-bit) portable and it too works when added to the Catalog as a drag-and-drop file compare tool (this software doesn't appear to have context menus).

xxxy

Re: OpenHashTab context menu dialog not displaying

Post by xxxy »

Hi there

Having the exact same issue as you are and wondering if there was ever a solution?

Will look into the two other hashers you mentioned in the meantime, too.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Since other tools will work, I won't go into this, as it looks more like their (OpenHashTab) problem.

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I see that in the newly released v3.0.3 it still doesn't show without invoking the 64-bit menu, but perhaps of note is that it's 64-bit only now. Unlike the other two programs you referenced which support x86 and x64, can you confirm whether 64-bit only programs are actually meant to ever show up without invoking the 64-bit context menu? I wouldn't think so, since isn't that what it's for? I can't explain why OHT didn't show up in older versions, however.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

can you confirm whether 64-bit only programs are actually meant to ever show up without invoking the 64-bit context menu?
64-bit shell extensions will only show in the 64-bit context menu.

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

admin wrote: 18 Jul 2023 18:44
can you confirm whether 64-bit only programs are actually meant to ever show up without invoking the 64-bit context menu?
64-bit shell extensions will only show in the 64-bit context menu.
So we can assume that's an additional reason it doesn't show (without the 64-bit menu) now.

As for before a few days ago, maybe the program's shell extension (if not every other aspect of the program) had always been 64-bit, it's hard to know. All I know for sure is that in the latest version, the release notes explicitly say "x86 (32 bit) is no longer supported."

I should note that there are some other tricky cases such as UltraEdit. In that one, even if you install the x64 version, the program provides shell extensions for x86 and x64. That's probably unusual.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

- There must be the actual files (at least one for x86 and one for x64).
- They must be correctly registered in the registry.
- They must work correctly.

If all three points are true, then they should show in the 32/64-bit context menus.