File Managers

What other productivity software are you working with...
Julian

Re: File Managers

Post by Julian »

I used "The Next Tool" (TNT) for over 25 years. It served me well al that years.

- opens ZIPs as directory (at times nobody else did it)
- comes with a practical launch bar
- offers multithreaded move and copy routines
- has an integrated file / hex viewer which is integreated in the search. (After the search it would browse through the documents and show the found texts. All in text / hex mode)
- opens multiple windows (no "norton" style 2 window form)
- filters for a set of file extensions
- has a recursive display of files in a directory

and has persistent file selections. This means I can open a directory in a seperate window and select files. The selection will be visible in a different window as well. This is useful if the views are different, one window is a single directory view and the other is a recursive view.

XY can do a lot of things and shines because of the scripting. Because of the age TNT stuggles with unicode file names and files larger than 4GB. It also has no image support.

Foxsayy

Post by Foxsayy »

Lare2 wrote: 19 Mar 2020 07:28 Direcory Opus

Ultra flexible, super powerful, well thought proven reliability and the best Developer you will encounter bar none. If you are a power user. Directory Opus is your File Explorer. Really, I've paid extra licenses just to support Leo the developer over there. The amount of configurations you can achieve with it are crazy ridiculous. Their documentation is top notch. This is the luxury File Manger.
I've yet to use XYplorer for any real length of time, but I trialed Directory Opus and I didn't like it. It froze up more than Explorer does, and I often had to wait for a file to finish transferring before it would unfreeze and I could use it, getting Teracopy to work with it was trickier and required a hell of a lot more work, and it didn't seem to integrate into windows all that well.

XY fan

Post by XY fan »

I used DirO for a few days before I discovered XY.

I could not customise the Toolbar in DirO any where near as easily as in XY and a long custom Toolbar with 3rd party programs on it is very important to me.

Horst

Post by Horst »

XY fan wrote: 21 Dec 2022 10:06 I used DirO for a few days before I discovered XY.

I could not customise the Toolbar in DirO any where near as easily as in XY and a long custom Toolbar with 3rd party programs on it is very important to me.
I tested DO a long time ago.
Its customization of the toolbar isn't bad, you can invoke buttons with several modifier keys
and add scripts to it.

There where 2 reasons why i didn't buy it:
1. Its price its much to high and they want to much money for upgrades.
Now I have Total Commander license (all are Life time)
and XYplorer life-time.

2. At the time I tested DO, the file preview functions where unsuffient and not in par with Total Commander for example.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

XY fan

Post by XY fan »

Horst wrote: 21 Dec 2022 12:19
XY fan wrote: 21 Dec 2022 10:06
2. At the time I tested DO, the file preview functions where unsuffient and not in par with Total Commander for example.
So does TC still have better preview functions than XY in your view - or are there other reasons why you use TC as well as XY?

Horst

Post by Horst »

XY fan wrote: 21 Dec 2022 13:09
So does TC still have better preview functions than XY in your view - or are there other reasons why you use TC as well as XY?
Yes, using TC Lister plugins provides high quality previews for almost any format in the world.
But XY's function mouse button down for picture previews is superiour.
I use TCs syncronize folders with a button in XY as this beats XY.
So I use TC and XY depending of what the current job is.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

XY fan

Post by XY fan »

Horst wrote: 21 Dec 2022 18:46
XY fan wrote: 21 Dec 2022 13:09

Yes, using TC Lister plugins provides high quality previews for almost any format in the world.
So admin, Can we improve on XY's file preview capacity?

Foxsayy

Post by Foxsayy »

Foxsayy wrote: 17 Dec 2022 02:41
Lare2 wrote: 19 Mar 2020 07:28 Direcory Opus

Ultra flexible, super powerful, well thought proven reliability and the best Developer you will encounter bar none. If you are a power user. Directory Opus is your File Explorer. Really, I've paid extra licenses just to support Leo the developer over there. The amount of configurations you can achieve with it are crazy ridiculous. Their documentation is top notch. This is the luxury File Manger.
I've yet to use XYplorer for any real length of time, but I trialed Directory Opus and I didn't like it. It froze up more than Explorer does, and I often had to wait for a file to finish transferring before it would unfreeze and I could use it, getting Teracopy to work with it was trickier and required a hell of a lot more work, and it didn't seem to integrate into windows all that well.
Apparently XYplorer freezes up too. Looks like it's time to search for a decent File Explorer Again

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Apparently XYplorer freezes up too. Looks like it's time to search for a decent File Explorer Again
Under what circumstances? I won't say it's never locked up on me but I don't actually remember it ever having done so - suggesting to me that it's rare enough to be a non-issue.

Which also suggests that some element of the environment you're running it in may not be conducive to 3rd party file managers, and holding the file manager responsible may be unfair.
-- bests, Tim

...This space unintentionally left blank.

Norn

Post by Norn »

I have been using Direcory Opus for almost a year, mainly using its multi-window, XY uses multi-tab, and I will switch to XY when I do some complicated things:

Code: Select all

function OnClick(clickData)
{
     var cmd = clickData.func.command;
     var tab = clickData.func.sourcetab;
     cmd.RunCommand("\"D:\\Tools\\XYplorer\\XYplorer.exe\" /feed=\"::tab('new', '{sourcepath}'); selectitems '{allfilepath|sep=|}';\"")
     if (tab.lister.tabs.count == 1) {
         cmd.RunCommand("Close")
     }
     else
     cmd.RunCommand("Go TABCLOSE")
}
Sometimes I will switch from XY to Direcory Opus use some functions of Direcory Opus:

Code: Select all

$dopusrt = """D:\Tools\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe""";      //Not dopus.exe
 if (<curitem> != "" && exists(<curitem>) != 2) {
     run lax($dopusrt /cmd GO "<curitem>" NEW);
 } else
 {
     run lax($dopusrt /cmd GO "<curpath>" NEW);
     if (<curname> != "") {
         wait '2000';
         run lax($dopusrt /cmd Select EXACT "<curname>" SETFOCUS);
     }
 }
Create a large folder with 100,000 files to test speed:
XY & DO speed test.gif
XY & DO speed test.gif (197.3 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Direcory Opus is much slower, which also affects the speed of the search, and Direcory Opus's mouse preview functions is not as good as XY, etc.
Last edited by Norn on 02 Jan 2023 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

Foxsayy

Post by Foxsayy »

oblivion wrote: 02 Jan 2023 01:36
Under what circumstances? I won't say it's never locked up on me but I don't actually remember it ever having done so - suggesting to me that it's rare enough to be a non-issue.

Which also suggests that some element of the environment you're running it in may not be conducive to 3rd party file managers, and holding the file manager responsible may be unfair.
It happens very frequently with file transfers but can be seemingly random. I get this a lot too, to the point that it's pretty much not feasible for a file explorer.
Attachments
error message.png
error message.png (8.45 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Ian

Post by Ian »

Sounds like XYplorer is protecting your work.
Previously tracked a similar issue down to a plain old hardware IO bandwith issue.
Once that was solved the problematic software causing the issue here returned to working correctly when under load.

Foxsayy

Post by Foxsayy »

sfwood wrote: 11 Jan 2012 18:42 From a XYplorer noob:
-I use ACDSee for dealing with images, for all kinds of reasons. Unfortunately, if you move images outside of ACDSee, you mess up ACDSee's catalog, so it has to be used always for schlepping images (I'm sure an insurmountable hassle, programming-wise).
-For "regular" file management, I used Opus for a few years, but their "upgrade" policy is IMO an insult to loyal users, and I'm not doing as much file managing of late so can't justify the price. (And to be honest, the endless customizability is overwhelming).
-Have been comparing Xplorer2 and XYplorer for a few weeks and leaning toward XYplorer for it's apparent stability and speed, comparatively. I really like the breadcrumb style of Xplorer2 and Opus so that's a hard adjustment. OTOH, XYolorer's branch view is much more robust than what Xplorer2 has to offer. And so on. Thanks for a great product!
What do you need in a file handler? I might have a couple suggestions.

Foxsayy

Post by Foxsayy »

Ian wrote: 11 Jan 2023 11:58 Sounds like XYplorer is protecting your work.
Previously tracked a similar issue down to a plain old hardware IO bandwith issue.
Once that was solved the problematic software causing the issue here returned to working correctly when under load.
How so? A lot of times File Explorer handles the operation just fine, and a lot of the times it freezes up, the message never goes away. I have to force quit XYPlorer and restart.

Also I can see perhaps an external drive limiting bandwidth I'm using, but not my main m.4. And it still shouldn't lock me out of the whole program, there should be a queue, and since I use Teracopy for FTP, it should be fine because TC does do queues.

rod222

Post by rod222 »

YXP has finally allowed me to ditch (in the main) ACDSee
I still use PICASA 3, (Picasa 3.9.141) Build 259
for simple (and multiple) tasks for my image database (400,000)

An infinite graduated deskew option
one click rotate 45 degree intervals
auto contrast.

I still retain ACDSee in the background, for the only software I can "generate a file listing" when selecting a range of images.