Create an Excel file (.xlsx) [Solved]

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
ArkonXY

Create an Excel file (.xlsx) [Solved]

Post by ArkonXY »

Hi all!

Could you help me to find a way to create a blank new Excel file (.xlsx)?

When I right click >>> "New" >>> the bottom options are "New Folders" & "New Files". When I choose "New Files" and put ".txt", all is good, and the text file can be oppened. When I do this with ".xlsx" it seems like it's just a text file with "xlsx" extension...
Last edited by ArkonXY on 04 Dec 2022 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Horst

Re: Create an Excel file (.xlsx)

Post by Horst »

The OS New context menu and its entries are filled by Windows and the installed applications.
This entries will create the correct empty content for a given type of file.
Unfortunately I don't see how to get the Windows default context menu items under New
as they are shown in Explorer or other file managers.
So we have to wait for an answer from Don or another Guru :)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3235)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

The XY way is to use the "Edit/New Items" menu instead, but you need to place an appropriately formatted file in the right place first for it to show up in the menu. While this might seem trouble at first, it gives you the added ability to have various different Excel or whatever files stored there as templates (Tip: it even allows for whole folder structures to be stored there) for future use.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Horst

Post by Horst »

RalphM wrote: 04 Dec 2022 14:42 The XY way is to use the "Edit/New Items" menu instead, but you need to place an appropriately formatted file in the right place first for it to show up in the menu. While this might seem trouble at first, it gives you the added ability to have various different Excel or whatever files stored there as templates (Tip: it even allows for whole folder structures to be stored there) for future use.
Thats fine but I still would like to see the default New context menu in XY.
This is automatically filled and doesn't need any maintenance.
All other file managers I know support this.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3235)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

ArkonXY

Post by ArkonXY »

RalphM wrote: 04 Dec 2022 14:42 The XY way is to use the "Edit/New Items" menu instead, but you need to place an appropriately formatted file in the right place first for it to show up in the menu. While this might seem trouble at first, it gives you the added ability to have various different Excel or whatever files stored there as templates (Tip: it even allows for whole folder structures to be stored there) for future use.
Ha!

It works! Thx!