color labels not kept when same external drive gets mounted with a different letter

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
woofy31

color labels not kept when same external drive gets mounted with a different letter

Post by woofy31 »

Problem: Windows mounts the same external drive with a different letter depending on various circumstances (e.g. if another external drive already uses that letter), in which case the color labels are not correct or kept.

Inconvenience/difficulty: Because of this, I have to disconnect the other drives, mount the one that I need and change its drive letter via ComputerManagement, so that XYplorer shows the correct color labels for that drive with its original letter.

Proposed solution: a simple fix would be to make color labels take into account the external drive LABEL instead of its letter (or some computed hash based on the drive properties in case there are multiple drives with the same label), just like the GoodSync file syncing program does.

highend

Re: color labels not kept when same external drive gets mounted with a different letter

Post by highend »

First look into the options, then post :ghost:

Configuration | Information | Tags | Storage
Use volume serials
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

woofy31

Re: color labels not kept when same external drive gets mounted with a different letter

Post by woofy31 »

highend wrote: 09 Nov 2022 16:47 First look into the options, then post :ghost:
Thank you so much for the info!

P.S. there are literally hundreds of options and can be quite overwhelming to go through them all and understand them all - I expected that this was the default and only behavior, it never went through my mind that it's an option, hence why I posted :)