Excellent Tool

Say it if you mean it...
tajmone

Excellent Tool

Post by tajmone »

Ciao everyone!

I'm Tristano from Italy, just purchased my XYplorer license after a few days of trial and reading the Help file.

I've just subscribed to the forum and wanted to greet the community and introduce myself.
Since I couldn't find a general chit-chat board I thought I might just as well post here and give some feedback on XYplorer at the same time.

I haven't yet used XYplorer enough to become an expert, but from what I've seen so far (and coming from another commercial file manager,
which has reached its enf-of-life after having served me well for years) I can say that I was immediately captured by XYplorer's features and
its general design, which is very much in tune with the way I think developer apps should be.

There are still tons of features I need to discover and master, and I know it's going to take some time, but I can mention here the features
which really stood out for me, when comparing XYplorer to other file managers while I was deciding which one to pick as a replacement for
my previous tool I'd been using.

Tags and labels were definitely on top of the list of my wished for features, since I handle a lot of documents which are scattered all over
the place and I often need to quickly dig them out using keywords, whereas I find that tags are really useful during development to mark
files and folders which require attention, especially in large projects.

I was also very impressed by XYplorer's scripting language, simple yet powerful. Extensibility and customization is a high priority for me.
To be honest, I was hoping for support of custom plug-ins via DLLs, this being the reason it ultimately took me a week of trial before
deciding between XYplorer and a competitor product which supported DLL plug-ins. But then I noticed a couple of references in the
documentation which lead me to believe that it's still possible to interface XYplorer with an external binary application via handlers IDs,
and leverage XYscripts once bridged. In any case, the scripting language is so feature rich that I'll be able to cover most of my needs
just using that.

Other features that impressed me are: Mini Trees (very useful for working on repositories) and virtual/paper folders, the extent to which
XYplorer can be customized to one's own needs (pretty amazing, really), and the tiny footprint of the application (on disk and RAM).

I'm sure that as I'll be using XYplorer more and more in my everyday work I'll be learning to love it even more. But for now, I'm just
embarking on this new journey, so I'll have to gradually migrate my old work habits from my previous tool to XYplorer, until I've learned
to use XYplorer well enough to keep up with my production working pace, as well as configure it to handle all my various projects
according to needs.

Anyhow, it's nice to have joined the XYplorer community!

Tristano (Italy)

highend

Re: Excellent Tool

Post by highend »

Welcome.

Just a short remark: No, .dll plugins are not supported and this can't be circumvented because XY would need to load that .dll.

You can communicate with it via WM_COPYDATA / Receive_WM_COPYDATA
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the club, and thanks for the kind words! :tup:

Don

tajmone

Post by tajmone »

highend wrote: 18 Dec 2021 09:22 Just a short remark: No, .dll plugins are not supported and this can't be circumvented because XY would need to load that .dll.
I understand this choice though, DLLs can cause problems on the long term, and might pose all sorts of problems, from backward compatibility
when the app is updated, to security issues. It's just that I was getting accustomed to this approach to extensibility, since it's been pretty much
the standard with many applications in the Win world — sure, an approach not without problems, especially when it comes to which version of
the VCRT is being used on both ends.
highend wrote: 18 Dec 2021 09:22 You can communicate with it via WM_COPYDATA / Receive_WM_COPYDATA
Indeed, I remember having stumbled across that while sifting through the docs. And if I remember correctly, once communication is established
it's possible to feed to XYplorer scripting commands, which basically allows the third party tool full control over all the XYplorer features.
Sounds really cool and I'm looking forward for a free day to explore this in depth.
admin wrote: 18 Dec 2021 09:31 Welcome to the club, and thanks for the kind words!
Thanks to you all for letting me join and welcoming me!

Tristano