"Preview as Thumbnail" may be messing with preview on panes

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
cadu

"Preview as Thumbnail" may be messing with preview on panes

Post by cadu »

Hi,
Using XYplorer 22.30.
I started noticing "Preview as Thumbnail" may be messing with preview on panes after tweaking PDF previews.
The issue was similar to what happened in the thread below, regarding setting XAR previews through "Image Files" or "Preview as Thumbnail":
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23520

How to reproduce for PDF:
1. Install a PDF app which preview and thumbnail handlers (I tested with Sumatra)
2. Immediately after installing Sumatra, XYplorer started showing PDF thumbnails and previewing PDF on pane/tab (in XYplorer Previewed Formats PDF is already included by default under "Office Files").
3. Add PDF format in "Preview as Thumbnail"
4. After that XYplorer still showing thumbnails, but on the preview pane it shows text, not the image anymore.
5. Remove PDF from "Preview as Thumbnail" will not fix the preview pane anymore.
6. I had to install Sumatra again for restoring the proper behavior I noticed in (2).
For PDF files, just two steps were necessary to make thumbnails and previewing on pane start working. However after adding PDF in "Preview as Thumbnail" a strange behavior started happening with the preview on pane.

How to reproduce for XAR:
1. Add .xar in XYplorer .ini (Thumbs64Ext=afphoto.afdesign.afpub.sldasm.slddrw.sldprt.xar).
2. Install Xara Designer which provides preview and thumbnail handlers
3. In XYplorer Previewed Formats, add XAR format in "Image Files".
4. Immediately after that XYplorer started showing PDF thumbnails and previewing PDF on pane/tab.
5. Add XAR format in "Preview as Thumbnail". XYplorer continues to preview PDF images properly.
6. Remove XAR from "Preview as Thumbnail". XYplorer keeps showing thumbnails, but on the preview pane images are previewed inconsistently, not for all XAR files anymore.
7. Add again XAR to "Preview as Thumbnail" and the proper behavior is reestablished.
8. Remove XAR from "Image Preview" and the proper behavior (thumbnails and pane preview) is kept with XAR added only in "Preview as Thumbnail"
For XAR files, just three steps were necessary to make thumbnails and previewing on pane start working. However after adding XAR in "Preview as Thumbnail" a strange behavior started happening with the preview on pane.

"Preview as Thumbnail" may be messing with preview on panes...

admin
Site Admin

Re: "Preview as Thumbnail" may be messing with preview on panes

Post by admin »

1) Use Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats | Find... to check in which categories PDF is enabled.

2) Use v22.30.0001 or later, XAR should work out of the box.

cadu

Post by cadu »

admin wrote: 30 Sep 2021 16:09 1) Use Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats | Find... to check in which categories PDF is enabled.
Just enabled on "Office Files"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I know what you mean. It all works perfectly as advertised. If you add PDF to "Preview as Thumbnail" you get the Preview as Thumbnail, which is usually the first page of the PDF.

What you might not be aware of (not sure if it is mentioned in help): "Preview as Thumbnail" has priority over the other categories. Maybe I should move it to the top of the list make that clearer.

cadu

Post by cadu »

admin wrote: 30 Sep 2021 17:15 What you might not be aware of (not sure if it is mentioned in help): "Preview as Thumbnail" has priority over the other categories. Maybe I should move it to the top of the list make that clearer.
I understand the priority of "Preview as Thumbnail" and it makes sense having it on top of the list.
However, the issue I experienced is that once you set "Preview as Thumbnail", and unset it later, the previous behavior isn't reestablished anymore.

Taking the PDF example that was only included in "Office Files" and working properly after Sumatra handler was installed.
Then I added PDF in "Preview as Thumbnail", and it messed the PDF preview on the pane (text was shown instead of image).
I was expecting to simply removed PDF format from "Preview as Thumbnail" and XYplorer would start previewing properly again since PDF was set already in "Office Files".
Nonetheless, XYplorer preview kept not working after removing PDF from "Preview as Thumbnail".
To reestablish the proper XYplorer preview I had to install Sumatra again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A restart of XYplorer did not help?

cadu

Post by cadu »

admin wrote: 30 Sep 2021 17:36 A restart of XYplorer did not help?
Earlier, I closed/reopened XYplorer, but it didn't solve the previewing issue.

I performed another test just now, I couldn't reproduce the issue anymore.
Adding and removing PDF from "Preview as Thumbnail" didn't cause the issue this time.

If I notice anything strange again, I'll inform you.

Thanks for your attention