Omission of File Extension When Quick Renaming (Up/Down Arrows)

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jibcutter

Omission of File Extension When Quick Renaming (Up/Down Arrows)

Post by jibcutter »

Hello,

New User who just purchased Pro as soon as I found out about the software this evening. There is an issue I have and maybe I'm missing the configuration setting or maybe it doesn't exist.

I'm carefully but quickly renaming photos in a unique way for a scientific dataset where I'm manually adding certain ID### to the end of each file name (and not in a patterned way that could be automated).

All my files are TIF and I already have the EXT column as 2nd column in Detail View where I'm doing my renaming. I hid file extensions under Tools > Customize List > Hid File Extensions

So I'm all good on that front. I also enabled serial renaming so after I F2 to rename an image I can add my bit of unique ID### to the photo; however, when I use the up/down arrows for serial rename it puts my cursor behind the *.TIF so I then have to waste 4 keystrokes to go back infront of the file extension to begin typing my custom ID###.

I looked around in the forums and found an old script that allows renaming of files (viewtopic.php?t=17386), saved as a User Cmd > Run Script with shortcut of Alt+Z, but it still seems a bit slower than if I could do the simple UP/DOWN serial renaming with the cursor going before the .TIF OR simply finding a way to omit the file extension when renaming.

Given that the only topic I found on this issue was 2018 I figured I'd dredge it back up.

Thanks

highend

Re: Omission of File Extension When Quick Renaming (Up/Down Arrows)

Post by highend »

I'm not aware of any other possibility than using a script.

E.g. for down + rename (bind it to alt+down)

Code: Select all

sel "+1";
    $base  = trim(regexmatches(<curname>, "^.*\."), ".", "R");
    $trail = input("Enter trailing part");
    $new   = $base . $trail;
    renameitem("$new.?");
And for alt+up, just use sel "-1"; instead
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I think it would make sense under these conditions to exclude the extension from the rename box. Probably not only on serial rename but also on normal rename. I think I will add that. :cup: :tup:

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Thanks Don, is this related to my post from last year?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21175

I do a lot of serial renaming, and I would love the option to have "F2" on moving to the next item select ONLY the filename, not the extension. This would be a huge time saver for me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, was not related to that post. I'll see if I can do sth about F2 later...

PS: Actually I'm thinking about offering an option to always (regardless of Hide Extensions) keep the extension out of the inline rename box. You very rarely want to rename it anyway. And there is the "Set Extension" dialog if you really have to!

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

That's true, it is probable most people would rarely wish to rename the extension. That would be a welcome option!

Marco

Post by Marco »

Just a little thing to fix: if the name contains dot, when you press F2 not the whole name will be selected but only the part before the dot (the smartness that preselects the whole basename still kicks in).
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Really? :shock: I had seen that here before release and fixed it. And it is fixed here. :?

Marco

Post by Marco »

Oh, I get it now :oops:
I have to both tick "Hide Extensions" and "Hide extensions from rename edit box" to disable that smartness. Still feels like a minor glitch...
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, yes, you were operating in the "Hide Extensions" mode. Yes, I see it now, too. Fix comes. :tup: