Rename directory should tweakable set Archive attribute on *ALL* contained files

Features wanted...
prino

Rename directory should tweakable set Archive attribute on *ALL* contained files

Post by prino »

Because if it doesn't, backups will fail miserably, the newly renamed directory and it's descendants will not be backed-up based on the archive attribute.

And yes, Windows Explorer and the "ren[ame]" command have the same problem, but given that XY is better, it would be useful to add a tweak to actually address this problem, by for example spawning a hidden instance of cmd.exe doing an "ATTRIB +A /s" after the rename of a directory.

And yes, I've been bitten by this a few times, having only seen it rear its ugly head by doing disk-2-disk compares of originals and backups.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Re: Rename directory should tweakable set Archive attribute on *ALL* contained files

Post by admin »

Looks like a wish to me. :)

prino

Re: Rename directory should tweakable set Archive attribute on *ALL* contained files

Post by prino »

You can classify it as both, same difference!

The fact that a backup will not backup a renamed directory because the archive bit has not been set classifies it as a bug for me due to the potential of loosing data:

1) I rename the directory, 'a' bit isn't set.
2) Start working with it
3) Make a backup - only changed files are copied, plus any directories they're in, which includes the renamed parent of the set
4) I look at my backups, see both the old and renamed directories, and decide to throw away the old one, not realising that the renamed one only has backups of a small number of files.
5) My disk crashes.

And at that moment the brown stuff enters my nostrils...

Rename a file, and the attribute bit is set, and for me the same is true if you rename

d:\myold\myfile1.txt

to

d:\mynew\myfile1.txt

assume the path+name to be the "full" name and it has changed -> set the 'a' bit!
Robert AH Prins

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I can see how useful it is.

However, the fact that Explorer does not do it makes it unexpected. To me that makes it a wish rather than a bug.

But anyway, who cares. I'll think about how to do this best.

What do others think about this?

prino

Post by prino »

I would humbly suggest something like this in the .ini file:

set_attr_on_dir_rename="0": continue old (not set "a" bit) behaviour
set_attr_on_dir_rename="1": pop-up asking if "a" bit needs to be set, with explanation, and option to make it default?
set_attr_on_dir_rename="2": set "a" bit always (should at some stage, next/overnext major version, become the default?)

Option should be settable from the "F9-Safety Belts,Network" panel, but maybe also from the "F9-Sort and Rename" one.
Robert AH Prins

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not much feedback coming in. :roll:

I have put it on my list.

PS: Next beta. :cup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@all: Let me know if this feature is of any use. I'm not sure if this Archive attribute thing is not totally outdated.

prino

Post by prino »

I'm a very happy bunny! :appl: :D 8)

For commercial backup programs the 'a(rchive)' bit may no longer be relevant(?), but for people like me who use XCOPY it's absolutely essential!
Robert AH Prins

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Begs the question why you use XCOPY when you have XYplorer? :mrgreen:

prino

Post by prino »

admin wrote: 19 Sep 2020 18:16 Begs the question why you use XCOPY when you have XYplorer? :mrgreen:
I have pretty complicated command files written in REXX that do rather a lot more than just XCOPY.
Robert AH Prins

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you know any other software that does this job (set archive bit on folder rename)?

prino

Post by prino »

admin wrote: 19 Sep 2020 18:42 Do you know any other software that does this job (set archive bit on folder rename)?
No, XY is the first, ahead of all the competition, as usual! ;)
Robert AH Prins

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:)

I will add it to configuration UI. It's easier to brag about it then. :beer:

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

prino wrote: 19 Sep 2020 18:58
admin wrote: 19 Sep 2020 18:42 Do you know any other software that does this job (set archive bit on folder rename)?
No, XY is the first, ahead of all the competition, as usual! ;)
And, just to say, I think it's good this way :tup:
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

prino wrote: 19 Sep 2020 18:32 I have pretty complicated command files written in REXX that do rather a lot more than just XCOPY.
That was a blast from the past for me - I used to do a bit of REXX programming back in my IBM mainframe days some 15+ years ago.
I didn't even know it was used on other platforms as well.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)