create setting for catalog "open folders in tabs" to add tabs, not replace

Features wanted...
Wilzz

create setting for catalog "open folders in tabs" to add tabs, not replace

Post by Wilzz »

It would be nice to have a setting (in F9 configuration screen) for the Catalog "open folders in tabs" to just add the folders as tabs to the already existing tabs in the active pane, instead of the current result of closing all but the active tab and then adding the new tabs. Or add a context menu command to do this.

And, as an afterthought, it might be useful to have an "add tabset to existing tabs" for tabsets as well.

Thanks.

RalphM

Re: create setting for catalog "open folders in tabs" to add tabs, not replace

Post by RalphM »

Press Shift when selecting a new location (in catalog or elsewhere) to open it in a new tab.

There is no "open folders in tabs" in the catalog unless this is a specific script created for that purpose, in which case the script would need to be adapted accordingly.

Menu "Tabset/Save As" creates a tabset with your current tab selection.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Wilzz

Post by Wilzz »

I realize I should have been more specific. I am referring to the context menu that pops up when you right click on a category heading. Selecting Open Folders in Tabs will open Test Tab1 and Test Tab 2 in the active pane, but will close all existing tabs in that pane except for the active tab and locked tabs. In this instance, holding down the Shift key while selecting Open Folders in Tabs does not change this outcome.
XYP Catalog.jpg
XYP Catalog.jpg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 987 times

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Sorry, can't help you there, I never used or needed this as I work extensively with tabsets and don't see how this would add anything desirable to the functions that isn't covered by tabsets.
Maybe others have something to add.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

highend

Post by highend »

Or just create a script that scans the catalog for categories that only contain folders, lets select you one of those categories in a popupmenu and then you can decide (in the script) whatever should happen with these folders (additionally open them in background tabs, close all unlocked tabs before, <whatever>)
Otherwise the context menu would be polluted by different versions of whatever should (exactly) happen...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Wilzz

Post by Wilzz »

Hey Ralph, what this would add that tabsets does not offer is the ability to add a group of tabs to an already existing set of tabs in the active pane. Without scripting, and by just using the the tabset drop down menu along the top, I don't see a way to add a tabset to the existing tabs. Opening a tabset automatically closes the existing tabs in the pane.

As an aside, I prefer the Catalog to tabsets because I can see what items are contained in a given category to make sure I am dealing with the items I think I am and easily edit them as well. I can choose to open some of them or all of them. As a matter of fact, this feature suggestion isn't a major must have, because users can just Shift-click on each item in the category. It would just be more efficient to click less. I find the catalog with its categories a great way to organize projects.

Highend - Since an Open Folders in Tabs command already exists, along with code defining how tabs should be opened, I thought it might be relatively easy for a setting(s) to be added (F9 configuration screen). That would help avoid context menu pollution, which I agree is something to be avoided for the most part.

I appreciate and thank you both for your input. From the number of posts you both have, it is apparent you are quite involved and know the ins and outs of XYplorer quite well. Although I have dabbled with scripts and custom buttons, I pretty much take the program as it is given. I suspect most of XYplorer users do as well. Whether many would appreciate this feature or not, I can not say. It's certainly not a major feature.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the club!

I don't know who else is using this command, never heard much about it. But I know this: It is old, much older than tabsets, and having tabsets now (which replace tabs rather than adding to the current) I don't really see the need to close unlocked/noncurrent folders before adding the Catalog ones. So, I would simply scrap that closing bit, and leave everything else the same. Even the caption "Open Folders in Tabs" can stay as it is. It's even more fitting now than before.

Okay?

Wilzz

Post by Wilzz »

That sounds perfect. Thanks!