[TOPIC CLOSED] +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
klownboy

Re: +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Post by klownboy »

Well, I can tell it must have been a frustrating experience. Sorry for you that it didn't work out. I love my XYplorer fine as it is. :beer: :cup: :tup:
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote: 16 Aug 2020 17:39 Well, I can tell it must have been a frustrating experience. Sorry for you that it didn't work out. I love my XYplorer fine as it is. :beer: :cup: :tup:
Yeah, thanks, me too. :)

You know, I'm proud that I begin to master the art of "Indonesian Coding". That's my own term for what I saw 2012 in Sumatra and Java: DIY high-tech tools! A broken pocket calculator, some rusty wire, an empty Cola can, a bicycle dynamo, and some part of an electric guitar are connected with tape, rubber, and solder to make a fully functional cash register. Stuff like this. This is how I work under the hood of XY. Don't tell anybody. :)

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

Duh, toooooo bad. The hope of getting XY for MacOS and Linux was the only light I saw after all the struggles with mediocre tools -is there no way to motivate you? Pleeeeease, don't give up!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, that was only going with NET Core, right? That would have been even harder. Forget it, it's not about motivation, it's about paying the rent. I cannot afford to sit down endlessly fumbling around with a useless tool (my impression is that .NET is a failed language). I want to make XY better. And I can.

paludis

Post by paludis »

admin wrote: 16 Aug 2020 18:50 ... I cannot afford to sit down endlessly fumbling around with a useless tool (my impression is that .NET is a failed language). ...
It is a bit amusing to me how perspective is everything, as I find myself cursing at established technologies on a regular basis. From a bit more rational perspective, one could argue that VB is a failed language, since it is pretty much dead since 1998 and only lived ~7 years, while .NET/C# being conceived in the year 2000 still going strong after two decades. But like I said, I fully understand your frustration with tech, as I am encountering it too on a regular basis, especially when trying to figure out how to get rid of legacy stuff. (Trying to replace C++/CLI stuff with pure C# to make it crossplat... *argh* where is my punching bag...)

On a more constructive note:

Have you thought about reevaluating your approach? From what I understand the goal was to throw everything in a language converter and then try to clean up whatever it spits out in one go.

Another approach would be to find a usable interop to another language and convert it part by part.
An example of this approach could be this article https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/18 ... 0-Tutorial

Maybe even reevaluate if going for C#/VB.NET is the right way to go. From a rough bit of googling I found several statements saying just because VB.NET and VB6 have both "Visual Basic" in the name doesn't mean they are the same thing and it would be easy to convert between them. Maybe another language like C++ with MFC which also makes WinAPI more accessible than from .NET would also make sense. If cross platform is a thing to be desired maybe Qt could be an option.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem at hand can be described by a simple number: 250,000. That's the number of code lines. Highly optimized code lines. Not counting the comments.

I don't think that VB6 is failed. Look for help and samples in the web, and you find plenty. The community is alive and kicking. Do the same for .NET: almost nothing. Tumble weeds crossing the screen.

GitCoder

Post by GitCoder »

Im really sorry to hear that. May you state the name of the company you hired (I remember mobilize.net being supported by Microsoft)?

Both the normal .Net till version v4.8 as .Net Core are cross-platform but .Net Core is the successor. So it is simply a modernized version where the different aspects are improved (better cross-platform modularity, better open source development, such things)

An alternative would be to start from scratch once you understand the language. Step by step and of course, everything without constraint and time pressure. And you could work on both in parallel. Sometimes an update for the main Vb6 version, sometimes a small one for the .Net version

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I won't mention the company's name in public because I cannot really recommend them. It was a mistake to use them but there was no way to know before, so let's just forget it.
GitCoder wrote: 16 Aug 2020 20:14An alternative would be to start from scratch once you understand the language. Step by step and of course, everything without constraint and time pressure. And you could work on both in parallel. Sometimes an update for the main Vb6 version, sometimes a small one for the .Net version
I thought about that, but the app is too big and VS is too slow. Work in parallel? Man, you have no idea how much time XY alone costs. :) And, I have a couple of others things going in my life...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Oh no. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 16 Aug 2020 20:27 ... but the app is too big and VS is too slow.
Have you looked at other IDEs like stuff from jetbrains? Our Java and frontend coders say their tools are state-of-the-art.
That won't help with the LoCs, of course.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, but no thanks. I need fun. .NET is no fun.

xy123

Post by xy123 »

I thought VB6 coders are switching to Xojo? Not similar enough, or something else?
https://docs.xojo.com/UserGuide:Migrati ... sual_Basic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not enough power. This is a nice project but it will take many years to seriously replace VB6.

GitCoder

Post by GitCoder »

admin wrote: 16 Aug 2020 20:27 I won't mention the company's name in public because I cannot really recommend them. It was a mistake to use them but there was no way to know before, so let's just forget it.
GitCoder wrote: 16 Aug 2020 20:14An alternative would be to start from scratch once you understand the language. Step by step and of course, everything without constraint and time pressure. And you could work on both in parallel. Sometimes an update for the main Vb6 version, sometimes a small one for the .Net version
I thought about that, but the app is too big and VS is too slow. Work in parallel? Man, you have no idea how much time XY alone costs. :) And, I have a couple of others things going in my life...
I meant start small. XY was small once.

Do you remember?
xyp.png
xyp.png (12.3 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Nobody would have anything against it and nobody expects that already tomorrow it can do everything XY can do.
This would be a reasonable way to secure the rent for a long time. Sooner or later x86 bit architectures will die

and you're a great developer. It would be a shame to just give up. All that potential, you could show the big boys.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You do it. :)