Minimized window misbehaviour on resolution change

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Creat

Minimized window misbehaviour on resolution change

Post by Creat »

Found another bug (that has been around for a while), and now I'm finally reporting it :)

Background: I often work logged in on my server (which doesn't have a monitor attached) via Remote Desktop from various PCs including my Laptop. This causes the screen resolution to change frequently since it's obviously bounded by the resolution of the host-PC I'm connecting from.

The problem: If XYplorer is minimized when the resolution is changed (this is NOT limited to remote desktop sessions, that's just the reason I notice it frequently!) and then subsequently restored the window layout isn't updated properly to reflect the new window size. See the attached screenshot for an example...
Attachments
XYplorer Window after resolution change
XYplorer Window after resolution change
misbehaving window.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 5892 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Minimized window misbehaviour on resolution change

Post by admin »

OK, thanks for reporting. Allow me to give this a low prio because the conditions are pretty exotic IMO, and it's totally harmless, and it should go away by itself once you resize the window (right?).

Creat

Post by Creat »

Yea of course, just wanted to finally report it since I notice it pretty much daily and haven't said anything :)

paludis

Post by paludis »

I find myself hitting this bug on a regular basis.

There is also the inversion of this problem. If you go from a lager resolution to a smaller one, the window is cut off and the status bar is not visible anymore.

I run XYplorer maximized by default and I use Remote Desktop quite frequently (on a daily basis actually), so it quite tedious to adjust the window size every single time.

Is there a chance this bug could get some higher priority? After all it has been around quite a while now. ;)

Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, 11 years old topic revived. Zombie. Anyway, this is one of the things that just will disappear with the new 64-bit edition.

Creat

Post by Creat »

Wow it surely has been a hot minute, appreciate the update very much! Also first heard about the 64 bit / C# version through this, so appreciate it even more! Can't wait!

And yes, this bug still exists in the current release version, and is still annoying me almost daily :oops:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting because you seem to be the only one. The only one who reports it at least.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Nope, he is not the only one.

I mentioned this in 2018 (and much much earlier, but now could not find my first post about it):
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19610&p=163665#p163665

I guess you can not even imagine how distracting this is for power users who switch between tens of remote sessions on a daily bases.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will (v20.90.0802) add a temporary scripting command to find out what's necessary to handle this. For now it should at least make it a one-click action for you.

Code: Select all

updatescreenmetrics;
In the misbehaviour situation please run this command and let me know if it does the job.

Borut

Post by Borut »

I tried hard, but somehow have an impression that 20.90.0802 manages it already "automagically" :) in almost all cases. Do not know what have you done, but it seems good at my place. When it once happened I used the ::updatescreenmetrics; which did the right thing. Unfortunately I can not tell what was different when it happened. At the moment when I reactivated that remote session with other monitor the XY application did not have focus (and did not resize after getting it). I think that in other cases XY had focus, but am not 100% sure. In any case, thanks a lot!! :tup:
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So waving the debug command intimidated the bug, cool! Fix by threat, I'll keep that in mind.

Borut

Post by Borut »

I had some problems with monitor recently, so that I had another testing constellation.

In all cases where the "previous" monitor was smaller, XYplorer did not stretch, when used remotely on a larger one. Since in some cases it was still v20.90.0802, I tried ::updatescreenmetrics;, which produced the expected stretch-effect.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, in the meantime I have removed that command. :) (PS: I will re-add it)

So, what exactly did not work? Moving the app between monitors?

Borut

Post by Borut »

The screenshot of the OP's initial post from 2009 still applies. That said, I would describe the case as follows:

XYplorer is maximized, running on the PC x. Assume I access x remotely from s, which has a small monitor. Assume everything is OK, XYplorer maximized. I leave s, while the remote session continues to live. I then connect to the same session from b, which has much larger monitor. What I then see is depicted in the initial post from 2009 - XYplorer, being maximized, does not stretch on the fill area enabled by the bigger screen.

Minimizing and maximizing manually makes it happen of course, but - as described by OP - is inconvenient.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

How is XY supposed to know that your remote session has moved from s to b?
Do all your other applications adapt to screen size automatically in this scenario?
Sounds like a rather advanced wish to me.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)