TeraCopy error when moving folders

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
vertigoelectric

TeraCopy error when moving folders

Post by vertigoelectric »

I was going to contact TeraCopy support about this but it only seems to happen when using it via XYplorer integration.

When moving folders within the same drive, the data gets moved successfully but TeraCopy throws an error:

After a lot of testing, it seems as though the folders are being moved before TeraCopy even starts up, so the source folders are no longer where TC expects them to be, thus the error. Note: this only seems to happen with folders. Moving individual files causes no error.

I'm on the latest versions of both XYplorer (20.9) and TeraCopy (3.26).

Any ideas?

highend

Re: TeraCopy error when moving folders

Post by highend »

This does happen since when?
What happened before that time, a XYplorer udpate, a TeraCopy update?
Did you try older versions from the freezer https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php already?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

vertigoelectric

highend wrote: 04 May 2020 15:55 This does happen since when?
What happened before that time, a XYplorer udpate, a TeraCopy update?
Did you try older versions from the freezer https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php already?
Unfortunately it's really hard to say. The problem has existed for a very long time (more than a year). It only occurs with Teracopy 3.x so for a long time I've been using Teracopy 2.x. Unfortunately, 2.x has some other issue that causes it to crash entirely during copy/move operations seemingly at random so it's too unreliable to continue using. Thus I've moved back to 3.26.

To be honest, I can't remember a time using TeraCopy with XYplorer that this problem didn't occur.

I have not yet tried older versions of XYplorer. I suppose I could do that if you think it will help pinpoint the issue. (For the record, I had skipped a lot of updates and went from 20.1 to 20.9 this morning, so the problem was present at least as far back as 20.1)

highend

Post by highend »

I suppose I could do that if you think it will help pinpoint the issue.
That depends on if you think that (with the current version of TC) you didn't had the problem at some time in the past.
If not, this wouldn't help.

And doing the same thing which you do with XY as a TC command line call from a dos box works 100% at all times?

Nobody reported any problem like that with TC so far...

vertigoelectric

And doing the same thing which you do with XY as a TC command line call from a dos box works 100% at all times?
I'm not sure what you mean. Please explain.

Oh nvm I understand. I'll try it.

highend

Post by highend »

I'm not sure what you mean. Please explain.
XY calls TC via command line.

Look at the configuration of TC as your external copy handler.

And then do call TC by adding the necessary source folder / dst folder from a command prompt.

vertigoelectric

I just tested it in a batch file using this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Move "F:\_F_TEMP\New folder (2)\Star Fox 53434" "F:\_F_TEMP\New Folder" /Close
and the problem occurred. So it's not a problem with XYplorer. It's a problem with TC's handling of the command. Well, it's good to know but i'm not sure how to fix it.

Well, thanks!

highend

Post by highend »

Probably by contacting TC's support...

vertigoelectric

Actually, is there somewhere I can edit the code that XYplorer runs when it does this? I have a few ideas.

highend

Post by highend »

vertigoelectric

highend wrote: 04 May 2020 16:28
Well, that doesn't actually allow me to edit the exact command that XY executes to perform the operation. That only allows me to supply a name/path/args for XYplorer to use in constructing said command.

At any rate, I've contact TC support about this. I really hope they are able to fix it. Thanks a bunch for your help!

highend

Post by highend »

Well, that doesn't actually allow me to edit the exact command that XY executes to perform the operation
And this isn't necessary. XY doesn't do more than inserting source files / folders. You define the arguments.

There can't be anything wrong with this kind of setup when the same command from a dos prompt doesn't do anything differently.

If this would be a problem with XY itself or it's way of calling TC like that there were dozens of bug reports like this :party:

LostFirefox36

Post by LostFirefox36 »

vertigoelectric wrote: 04 May 2020 16:38
highend wrote: 04 May 2020 16:28
Well, that doesn't actually allow me to edit the exact command that XY executes to perform the operation. That only allows me to supply a name/path/args for XYplorer to use in constructing said command.

At any rate, I've contact TC support about this. I really hope they are able to fix it. Thanks a bunch for your help!
Were you able to get this issue resolved? I recently switched to using TeraCopy as my default copy handler and am running into the same issue.

LostFirefox36

Post by LostFirefox36 »

I was having the same issue with TeraCopy 2.6.
I went to their website and downloaded the latest beta:
https://blog.codesector.com/category/teracopy/

and this fixed the issue for me.

vertigoelectric

LostFirefox36 wrote: 28 Jul 2020 09:07 I was having the same issue with TeraCopy 2.6.
I went to their website and downloaded the latest beta:
https://blog.codesector.com/category/teracopy/

and this fixed the issue for me.
Hmmm I don't think I even knew they had that version available. I'll definitely give that a try. In the meantime I've just stopped using Teracopy and have been using XYplorer's built in copy handler but I'm having issues with that now, too, which I'll probably have to post about now that I think of it.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the beta version!