How does one apply column settings program-wide ?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Clairvaux

How does one apply column settings program-wide ?

Post by Clairvaux »

I'm beginning to use the program, and have not been able to find the answer to that question. It seems then when I change the size format, or date format, for instance, this applies only to the "place" I'm in at the moment. I want it to apply everywhere.

Where is the centralized control panel ?

nas8e9

Re: How does one apply column settings program-wide ?

Post by nas8e9 »

Hi and welcome,

The answer is Folder View Settings, which allows you to set a default folder view:
1. Enable View > Folder View Settings > Enable Folder View Settings.
2. View > Folder View Settings > Define this Folder View as Default.

Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

I cannot find Folder View Settings in the View menu. I'm using the free version. Maybe it's different ?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Clairvaux wrote: 11 Jun 2020 22:08 I cannot find Folder View Settings in the View menu. I'm using the free version. Maybe it's different ?
You can see the differences between the free and paid versions here. Folder View Settings is a paid feature.

The free version has also been discontinued. The paid version has much to commend it :wink:.

Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

So this means there is no way to adjust globally the basic parameters of the right panel in the free version (nothing sophisticated) ?
The free version has also been discontinued. The paid version has much to commend it :wink:.
Yes, I know. However, the new pricing model does not make sense. I'm not against paying for a good Windows Explorer substitute (indeed, I use Directory Opus), but while 40 dollars is not unreasonable if the program is very good, it begins to look extortionate if it only grants one year of updates, putting it rather close to a subscription license. And 80 $ for a "perpetual" license is just too much, especially since this seems to be a one-man outfit, and nothing says the developer won't quit three or five years from now.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Clairvaux wrote: 11 Jun 2020 23:43 So this means there is no way to adjust globally the basic parameters of the right panel in the free version (nothing sophisticated) ?
Just to be sure, you've already saved settings (File > Save Settings) after applying your changes?

Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

Yes, I've done that. I tried to change the date format, to understand how things work. The change propagated to all the tabs of the lower panel (which had focus), however the top panel was unchanged.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Clairvaux wrote: 12 Jun 2020 00:07 The change propagated to all the tabs of the lower panel (which had focus), however the top panel was unchanged.
Ah, you're using dual pane. Changing things in both panes and then saving settings, doesn't survive a restart?

Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

Yes, it does. So, generally speaking, changes are per-panel only with the free version ?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Clairvaux wrote: 12 Jun 2020 02:30 Yes, it does. So, generally speaking, changes are per-panel only with the free version ?
In limited testing, what works for me is changing the date format *in both panes separately* and then saving settings. It seems awkward to have to make the changes in both panes, but once the change is made in both, they stick.

Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

Thank you. I'm continuing exploration of this intriguing piece of engineering...