DDS Image support

Features wanted...
vbbartlett

DDS Image support

Post by vbbartlett »

I work for a graphics company who would probably buy quite a few licenses if this were to support the DDS image format for thumbnails/previewing and other image options and tasks. The addition of TGA was a definite selling point to management.

admin
Site Admin

Re: DDS Image support

Post by admin »

vbbartlett wrote:I work for a graphics company who would probably buy quite a few licenses if this were to support the DDS image format for thumbnails/previewing and other image options and tasks. The addition of TGA was a definite selling point to management.
Hello,

"quite a few licenses" -- well, sounds motivating, but DDS decoding is not that trivial at all (TGA is trivial compared to DDS). In other words: how many is "quite a few"?

Don

vbbartlett

Post by vbbartlett »

the current company size is 40 ish but expected to double in the next year. I also asked about site licensing and the possibility of that.

As for DDS, I would hope you could use the NVidia DDS Thumbnail plugin to connect directly to xyplorer and simplify the integration.

Obviously Im pushing for the purchase if the product, but that in no means would indicate they would buy it even with this functionality. It is just a major draw back to an otherwise very good product with respect to our needs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

vbbartlett wrote:As for DDS, I would hope you could use the NVidia DDS Thumbnail plugin to connect directly to xyplorer and simplify the integration.
NVidia DDS Thumbnail plugin ... this does not sound like something that's found on most computers. So that would be a feature that's usable only for a few users, right?
I will see if DDS is an open format and how hard it would be to master it.

I agree with your other remark. Generally, I would never add a feature only because of a promise to buy. First, because it would corrupt the program, 2nd because in my experience only about 1 out of 5 such promises are kept.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:I will see if DDS is an open format and how hard it would be to master it.
Research results:
(1) It seems to be possible using DirectX libraries.
(2) It's a lot of work.

Bottom line:
It won't happen too soon. It's just too far out of XY's main development course.