[TOPIC CLOSED] +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
GitCoder

Re: +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Post by GitCoder »

admin wrote: 15 May 2020 20:43 Unless we all die before due to some 19bit architecture...
:titter: :biggrin: :mrgreen:
it is in the hands of Mr. Gates. Damn Microsoft, Damn Billy

GUIguy

Post by GUIguy »

You know that I'm not a programmer, but a designer and usability geek. So, if there are any user experience changes, count me in on testing and commenting...
GUIguy
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind

Quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything!

randfee

Post by randfee »

hadn't seen this before. Good fortune on your migration effort! Looking forward to it. This will eventually resolve some old 'issues' XYplorer wasn't responsible for... like some weird drag and drop stuff for instance!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, very likely so! :cup:

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

How that looks like? I dont want to hear any technical notes or problems, but just Don's feeling. If that is still going as expected or we may expect longer migration.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's all working according to the plan. :tup:

prino

Post by prino »

admin wrote: 06 Apr 2020 13:45 It's 250,000 lines of code. But you know, I hired a company to do what can be done in an automated way. Otherwise it would not be possible. My work will start where the machines fall short. Still no walk in the park, but possible.
Reminds me of the utter fiasco at the company I was working for as a consultant during Y2K. We had the Isreali developers of their "magic" tool spending night after night after night trying to get it to work for us. In the end it was abandoned, as it did not work, at all!

I can, well sort of, understand why you want to go for .NET and VB.net, but I think Delphi/Lazarus would have been a way better choice, and I think it would result in far less bloated executables that would run natively on x86, AMD64, and potentially ARM.
Last edited by prino on 30 May 2020 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

prino

Post by prino »

John_C wrote: 09 Apr 2020 15:42 Yes, XY is created on the dead language, but this is what I like about it.

See Vim, Emacs, Unix utils, Windows command prompt. All this software is very old, sometimes isn't very easy to use, and have some limitations. However, this software have great advantage: it just works. It worked 20 years ago and it will work the next 20 years.

Compare it with typical .NET app. (I will call it <Foo>.) It's like:
Hey, you have .NET 4.1. To use the Foo app, you need to download .NET 5.3. Hey, you said you have Windows 7... In such a case you will not be able to install 5.3, sorry...
Hey, you have .NET 5.2 and want to install an older version of the Foo app? In such a case you need to downgrade your .NET to 3.2. Hey, you said you have another apps on your PC that requiring 5.2? It's not my problem dude. And by the way, version 3.2 was removed from Microsoft website and no, you willn't be able to download it from archive.org.
Also, what about testing new versions when reporting bugs? Currently, to report a bug, I download a portable version, check the bug, and then return to my current version. I'm not sure .NET apps can be used in such a way, i.e. without installation.
That's why I use Virtual Pascal 2.1.279 (dead since 2004 or so) and WinRAR 4.2. It's likely that XY 20.90.0500 will be my last ever version, on W7 Pro!
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 30 May 2020 16:04 It's all working according to the plan. :tup:
You're one of the very few software vendors I trust when making such a statement. :)

Borut

Post by Borut »

prino wrote: 30 May 2020 20:41I can, well sort of, understand why you want to go for .NET and VB.net, but I think Delphi/Lazarus would have been a way better choice, and I think it would result in far less bloated executables that would run natively on x86, AMD64, and potentially ARM.
Probably not many here, who see it your way, but I am one of them.

Wanted to advocate Delphi or FPC/Lazarus/CodeTyphon here for a long time (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_( ... th_Lazarus for applications done with it, for instance Total Commander; stay assured that tons of other production scale Delphi or FPC based applications exist and are in a daily use worldwide...), but always thought: Hey, who am I to give suggestions to Don... Well, now it is too late for that anyway.
prino wrote: 30 May 2020 20:46That's why I use Virtual Pascal 2.1.279 (dead since 2004 or so) and WinRAR 4.2. It's likely that XY 20.90.0500 will be my last ever version, on W7 Pro!
:) WinRAR 4.11 in use here, with a good reason as well. It is also very likely that I will stay with the last VB based XYplorer version, whichever it will be. Actually, it would be interesting to know which XYplorer version out of the fridge can work with ReactOS, if any.

Hopefully at least the direction here is towards the .NET Core.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

I'm sorry, but I am still curious about the migration approach. :whistle:

Is the outsourced (automated) conversion an iterative process where you receive one "compileable" chunk after another, or is it a sort of "big bang" where you start off spending days (weeks?) in order to get the first code version which compiles without errors - and then real work can be started?

admin wrote: 30 May 2020 16:04 It's all working according to the plan. :tup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

big bang, and it will bang soon... :)

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

Yeah, let's prepare the fireworks! :appl:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Cool shit, yeah!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure: This is the bang where I start my work. No idea yet how long this will take. Maybe in 2-3 weeks I can give an estimate.