Slow network folder access times

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
frank479

Slow network folder access times

Post by frank479 »

I can't be certain that version 300 was when I first started noticing this, but definitely I hadn't observed it in any versions prior to 100. No matter what I access over the network, it can take upwards of 20 seconds before the contents of the folder is displayed. Whether I'm accessing another Windows machine shared on the network or my Synology drive. No issues with this when using Windows File Explorer. I haven't changed any XY settings nor have I modified anything on the network end of things with these machines. Startup load times are slow, too, but the folder access speed degradation is way more annoying.

Even more, if I copy a folder to a network share and then attempt to access the copied folder, it's another 15-20 seconds. Very weird. Other network folders at the same level I copied to can be accessed ok. But, if I go up higher in the hierarchy or deeper within the current folder, I get nothing but delays.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Slow network folder access times

Post by admin »

Nothing has been changed here for a long time. So the cause must be somewhere else.

Midas

Post by Midas »

I have the exact same issue. It started some weeks ago, but I can't pin it to a specific version.

I even tested opening a folder with XYplorer, then opening Windows Explorer with the same folder. Windows Explorer had finished long before XYplorer loading the file list.

Observations:
- it does not matter how many files the folder contains, even folders with only 2 or 3 files are affected
- when a folder has been visited before, it loads fast the next time - until XYplorer is restarted
- it is not predictable when it occurs - only one out of 10 folders loads slowly, but there does not seem to be a pattern
- it does not seem to be connected with the file types in the folder, the problem also occurs if there are only directories in a folder, or with details/thumbnails mode deactivated

I'll monitor it and see if there are more hints towards the origin of the problem.

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

admin wrote: 11 May 2020 09:24 Nothing has been changed here for a long time. So the cause must be somewhere else.
Maybe that is culprit... I have problems with the network in xyplorer all the time. It never works properly in comparison with explorer or other file managers. Somethimes it is fast, but mostly the slowest on the world and ever worst if you use any hacks in settings to have network browsing fast it ends up with the problem you never get popup for username and password for unknown shares... but it all works in others managers and also in windows. The network handling in xyplorer is old and unsuable. Sorry for these words, but I am saying the true. I am fighting with that behavior all the time. Maybe x64 version will handle it better, but then it must be rewritten to the situation how it must work and not to situation how that was hadnled now to have that "somehow" works! I have my fingers crossed to have that better in the future, but now it is really terrible. In corporate networs unusable.

nutnutwin

Post by nutnutwin »

Well this is the only problem I encounter since I started using XYplorer

I quit using XYplorer as default FileExplorer due to this

# My Workaround
I open folder using XYplorer from launcher(Listary/Everything)
I made a Autohotkey to open current folder in XYplorer, when using Native FE
works fine so far, but would be great network folder problem get fixed.

# Problem
✦Yes I have similar problems, when using Synology NAS, and Active Directory Folder, in company
XYplorer seems to freeze on first access/or not able to access the folder at all sometimes
After the initial freeze, it works fine for a while, and at some random timing freeze again, where I have to quit the whole program

still it's a great app

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Strange. There weren't network problems for a long time and nothing has been changed here recently in the code (apart from some very specific things that don't apply here). Which Windows version are you using?

nutnutwin

Post by nutnutwin »

hi for my case
I am using win 10 pro

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please play with the settings in "Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Network". For starters untick them all.

nutnutwin

Post by nutnutwin »

will try and get back to you later

THX

nutnutwin

Post by nutnutwin »

admin wrote: 27 May 2020 13:09 Please play with the settings in "Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Network". For starters untick them all.
Hi, I check the Network part, and none of them are checked in the first place(didn't mess with that)

And strangely it is not happening for the time being(tried for 15 min or so)

✦If it should happen again, should I obtain an log or something? (is it possible?)
If so, should I send it to you by mail?
Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Network is a bitch.

There is no log. I think the best idea is to wait for the upcoming 64-bit version and see how it works. And then fix anything there is to fix.

nutnutwin

Post by nutnutwin »

:tup:

Midas

Post by Midas »

So far it seems that most people having the problem are using a Synology NAS as backend.

Two weeks ago, there was a larger update of Synology DSM from 6.2.2 to 6.2.3, which also included some SMB changes:
https://www.synology.com/de-de/releaseNote/DS418j

That might be roughly the time the issues started on my end.
Maybe it's something Synology changed on their side, which the standard Windows Explorer can deal with, but XYplorer not?

In particular, this change might be related (although it's quite unspecific about what it really does):
"Added support for client users to monitor the changes of subdirectories under shared folders via SMB protocol."

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good observation, might well be the case. From XYplorer's POV I can say: there is no special treatment for Synology NAS whatsoever, all network access is done through the standard Windows API. All locations are treated the same.

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

I am using qnap at home and at work. Both works well. But because of smb1 depreciation I must to have username and password in windows credential manager. But I have problems with windows server 2008+. As mentioned there is big slowness against other managers and when I tune something in settings it is faster but when others ask me for username and password and after providing correct one it lets me go there xyplorer never ask me and I never can go there. I dont agree with synology problem, but I agree with old VB6 smb protocol which is really over and must be changed.