Tags problem, sharing across a network

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mmp997

Re: Tags problem, sharing across a network

Post by mmp997 »

The tags on the client have now disappeared.
Meanwhile 4 tags on the server have appeared, as below:

SharedTags.dat now says:

Storage: 0 (Absolute paths)

Data:
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Barkham & Murray - Sustainable Social Housing - Global best practice.pdf|0|7|||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Barry Cullingworth, Vincent Nadin - Town and Country Planning in the UK (2006, Routledge).pdf|0||8||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\City Transformations Conference, Rio (articles on cities by famous urbanists).pdf|0|6|||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Cliff Moughtin - Urban Design - method and techniques.pdf|0||7||||||||||||||||
\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\City Transformations Conference, Rio (articles on cities by famous urbanists).pdf|0|3|||||||||||||||||
\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Cliff Moughtin - Urban Design - method and techniques.pdf|0||4||||||||||||||||

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

XYplorer has also developed very slow startup, on both Server and Client.
Something is obviously not right.
If the admin.ini paths seem to you correct as written, despite the criticism from highend, I am tempted (because of this weird slowness) to save the admin.ini folders somewhere, uninstall XYplorer on all machines, and start again.
Of course there is no particularly good reason why that should help.....

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

I would happily give you remote access, if it would help.

highend

Post by highend »

If the admin.ini paths seem to you correct as written, despite the criticism from highend
It is NOT correct. Hell. Your admin.ini entries point to a machine (netbios) name, NOT to a share on these machines^^
I also continue to suspect underlying Windows Network issues
This is NOT an "underlying network issue" *sigh*
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

highend, I did not mean to offend, but I was deferring to the fact that when you pointed this out, admin did not respond.
I am happy to rewrite the path. What should I write?

highend

Post by highend »

Maybe the CORRECT unc path? I lost track of what you're doing there long ago.
ULM1=\\MATTHEW_PC\research_notes>C:\[the path to your research notes folder]
That's from your friend.

And you did what?
Not sure what the stuff about "research_notes" is (my friend added that) so I removed ii
Can you access any shares DIRECTLY when using ONLY "\\MATTHEW_PC" (and that's what you're doing here!)?
NO you can't! Because a share has a name that comes AFTER the name of the machine...

Why don't you give remote access to your friend? He obviously has enough experience with shares, unc paths, .ini files and all that's necessary to setup such things
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

So maybe we could go back to 15:44 where I said:

"I began by finding out the location of my Dropbox folders on server and client:

Server: (MATTHEW-PC)
E:\Dropbox

Client: (OWNER-PC)
C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox

So I assume I need an admin.ini in the server XYplorer folder:

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\MATTHEW-PC>E:\Dropbox

And an admin.ini in the client's XYplorer folder:

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\OWNER-PC>C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox "

Now I hear from highend that this is wrong, because (missing shared folder...)
If you could enlarge on the explanation and put it in layman's language, I would surely understand.
Which particular shared folder do you mean is missing?
Where in the expression above should the missing shared folder be?
Do I, for instance need to share the entire Dropbox folder on E:?

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

We seem to have overlapped messages.
Now you say "a share has a name which comes after the name of the machine"
OK! An explanation in ordinary language! Praise the Lord! Now we're getting somewhere.
My problem is that the Dropbox folder, which is absolutely massive, sits directly on E, there is no other folder between it and the machine:

\\MATTHEW-PC\Dropbox

So I share that?

And what would my admin.ini look like on the server and the client? I mean, I have no idea how to write this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It might be better if you used (use = browse to the files-to-be-tagged in XYplorer) the UNC path (e.g. \\MATTHEW-PC; UNC path = anything starting with \\ instead of with a drive letter) from all of your machines. Then you don't need Admin.ini at all and everything is super-easy to understand and will just work.

The above supposes that you can see those files (that you want to tag) from all of your 3 machines, and using the UNC path it should be the identical path in each of your machines. (If you cannot do that then the whole thing cannot work anyway, whether using UNC or locally mapped paths.)